THE WORST cracked nipples I've had in 5yrs of breastfeeding.

(11 Posts)
Sahkoora Fri 15-Nov-13 14:44:56

Been bf non stop for 5yrs now, spread over my DC. never had too many problems, apart from a biter and a bit of oversupply, but suddenly, bf has become intolerable.

I've had cracked nipples before, but it seems like these are never healing. every time I feed DS the cracks open up again, and I just can't stand the pain.

I'm putting on Lansinoh every hour to try and keep them from getting dry and just to heal a bit, but it's been going on for a couple of weeks on both sides.

DS is getting big and wriggly, and changing his latch is impossible as he fights me. As he's feeding, he sort of braces against me with arms and legs and pushes away from me, which I think may have caused it in the first place.

Anyone have any tips about emergency nipple healing?

Haribojoe Fri 15-Nov-13 14:51:25

Sounds a lot like symptoms I had when feeding DS3, actually stopped feeding him because it was so painful (suddenly started at 6 months old).

Went to the doctor when it didn't improve and he said I had staph infection, few days of prescription cream and all was well again.

Hope you get it sorted, cracked/damaged nipples are the WORST hmm

Liveinthepresent Fri 15-Nov-13 18:08:28

Hi OP - ouch that sounds painful - I had thrush while feeding DC2 recently and found the following useful for healing the nipple damage -

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplehealing/

And these -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-Mam-Compresses-Intensive-Treatment-Breast-Feeding/dp/B005KJ3DSC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384538803&sr=8-1&keywords=multi+mam

Expensive and I couldn't find them in normal pharmacies but really helped.

48th Sat 16-Nov-13 12:28:01

Most likely it is an infection as pp says. Even ab ointment should bring quick relief. See gp quickly to check

Safmellow Sun 17-Nov-13 11:32:00

Ouch sad

Not always practical but I found the best way to heal them was to smear with breast milk frequently, close the curtains and stay topless for as long as possible! Hope you heal up soon it's absolute agony isn't it.

Sahkoora Mon 18-Nov-13 08:41:33

Thanks everyone. I have a doctor's appointment this morning as it has been hell over the weekend. Tried nipple shields but DS was having none of it, he's too big to be tricked into something new!

Sahkoora Thu 21-Nov-13 09:51:23

Doctor was pretty useless, didn't offer to take a look and didn't prescribe anything. He's given me some blood test forms in case I am anemic and it's preventing me from healing properly.

One of the cracks was leaking some yellow stuff yesterday, think I might have to get a second opinion.

Liveinthepresent Thu 21-Nov-13 17:22:29

You poor thing OP the GPs can be useless - I had to self diagnose the thrush having initially been fobbed off.
Are you still feeding and what are you trying currently ? Those compresses I linked to may offer some temporary respite while you get to the root cause?
Or the other thing I think helped me was overnight exposure to air - though wasn't sure which to prioritise !
Good luck

callamia Thu 21-Nov-13 18:04:30

When this happened to me, I gave one a rest at a time and expressed on that side only for a day or so. The other side took a bit of a beating, but the rested side healed pretty quickly, so it could take over while the other then was given time off to heal.

Also, tons of lansinoh.

Sahkoora Mon 25-Nov-13 10:43:55

Thanks. Still feeding yes, and have ordered some of those from Amazon, taking yonks to turn up though.

Not much fun atm for me or DS, last night he climbed off my lap mid feed and lay on the floor and fell asleep rather than feed. It's probably not that relaxing when i'm jumping and wincing!

48th Mon 25-Nov-13 20:51:54

Oh nooooo go back to the gp, can you get a different one? This would most usually be an infection and so easy to clear with a topical ab.

Your gp needs to grasp that nipples don't get cracked at this stage unless there is a reason...anaemia won't cause this and treatment of it wouldn't resolve an infection. Nipple infections can look thoroughly underwhelming and can usually be identified by sudden pain/cracks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now