12 week old refusing bottles

(6 Posts)
Soontobemama Sat 09-Nov-13 21:41:52

My baby has been mainly breastfed since birth but from 2 days old has also been fed formula top ups from a bottle. We gradually got him down to just one bottle of formula each evening which suited us all. However, for the past week he has refused to drink from the bottle. We've tried a different bottle and teat. I've expressed milk to see if he has gone off formula but he still won't take it.

I'm out of ideas now and beginning to feel stressed by it. It means that I can't go out and leave the baby with DH as he gets really worked up the hungrier he gets. More importantly it means I'm not getting enough sleep. DS is still waking every 2-3 hours at night. So I had been going to bed early and leaving DH to give a bottle so that I could get a few hours sleep in. That's obviously not happening now and I'm exhausted.

Does anybody have any ideas as to why this is happening and what we can do? The health visitor just said to keep trying.

Boltonlass1972 Sat 09-Nov-13 23:25:37

They go through a growth spurt at this time which can unsettle them. I wonder if it could be teeth? Possibly try a bit of teething gel beforea bottle? If desperate you could try open top cup feeding from a medicine cup but I appreciate this would take ages! Does he have a dummy?

Soontobemama Sun 10-Nov-13 06:35:43

He refuses a dummy, always has. He will suck on a finger but then refuses the bottle. Would he do that if it was teeth?

I tried a sippy cup last night but am not sure if he got anything as he was soaked.

Boltonlass1972 Sun 10-Nov-13 09:04:41

It's this your first baby?
I presume he'll take boob but not bottle? Sorry the cup was a disaster. I appreciate it can be very stressful sad I suppose my thought is that if he's really hungry and only offered bottle eventually he'll take it, but this is hard when he's so young and the hours in between feeds or advice that works can feel like hell! If you have a good health visitor or breastfeeding consultant call them. Or call the NCT helpline. Often babies can go through awkward phases that lady just a few days and then they pass, so don't worry, this won't be a permanent change. Lots of love to you x x

Soontobemama Sun 10-Nov-13 09:55:50

Thanks Boltonlass, yes he is my first.

I guess we will just have to hope he gives up his refusal if we keep offering a bottle. My MIL is using this as a reason why I should "wean him off" breastfeeding which isn't helping my stress levels.

Boltonlass1972 Sun 10-Nov-13 14:38:15

Always ignore the MIL if her advice discourages
Keep breastfeeding! Well done for managing to: no easy feat! Health visitors or a bf clinic at local hospital can help x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now