advice needed on 5 week old, night feeds and supply

(7 Posts)

Firstly apologies for any typos or lack of caps, posting this one handed while feeding

I'm end my 5 week old dd, all going fine and she is gaining weight nicely. She has been a great sleeper ay night since day 3, and has been sleeping in Moses basket from about 7 or 8pm until 6 or 7am with a feed at 10.30pm and between 3 and 4 for about 3 weeks. I realise I am very lucky (ds didn't sleep this well at 6 months), and I also realise this could change at any time.

So, to my point (ramble, ramble). I think she will sleep for longer stretches if left to it. I dream feed at 10.30, she doesn't wake fully even witnappy change, ans doesn't do more than 10 mins of

Feeding, and I often have to wake her at 4 for a feed. Last night she woke for a feed at 9.30, wouldn't take anything at 11, and then had to be woken at 4 for a feed.

So shall I stop waking het? I'm happy she is getting enough over a 24 hour period. I feed on demand during the day, normaaly every 1.5 to 2 hours, but will it effect my supply if we drop night feeds this early? Also if I so leave her, should I drop at 10.30 or 4am feed?

I'm actually not in any rush to drop feeds, as I'm coping fine with sleep, but I don't want to force her into nightime feeding habits unnecessarily.

Sorry for long and split post, any advice or opinions appreciated smile

hettienne Sat 09-Nov-13 14:46:17

I wouldn't wake a baby at night if they are healthy and gaining weight, so long as they're still having 6-8 feeds overall. As for supply, I guess you'll just have to see how it goes? If I was to do a night feed I'd probably choose my bedtime rather than 4am, but I think 3/4am is better for supply as hormones peak then.

Creamtea1 Sat 09-Nov-13 14:50:23

If she is gaining weight nicely and feeding 2 hourly in the day, I would just leave her to sleep at night and let her wake herself for feeds. My 7 week old has a similar pattern and often goes 8 till 2am and it never even crossed my mind to wake her at 11 etc. sounds like you're doing great!

BlackberrySeason Sat 09-Nov-13 14:56:20

My DS slept through from 6 weeks and when I rang one of the helplines they said that they would recommend not going more than 4 hours at that age. He was also gaining nicely. However, at 12 weeks iirc they said it was ok to let him sleep through.

10-12 feeds per 24 hours is what we are supposed to aim for, I think.

Thanks for the replies, its a minefield isn't it! I had midwife tell me to not wake her at all - this was when she was 10 days old so ignored, and then HV a week later say not to let her go more than 4 hours. creamtea what time does your DD wake after 2am feed? I guess I am reluctant to drop a feed, which brings others earlier and end with a 5am wake up! This whole waking baby to feed is completely alien to me, as DS never went more than 2 hours day or night until 6 months!

Creamtea1 Sat 09-Nov-13 18:15:58

Jelly it's usually about 6am unless she does a night poo in the interim!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now