Expressing Special Baby Care

(10 Posts)
Romily Fri 08-Nov-13 09:55:19

Hello

I have been told that there is a high chance that my baby, after induction, will have to spend some time on special baby care and that it might be useful to express some colostrum as I am hoping to breast feed.

At the moment I am only 27 week and although I have already started to get a bit of leakage from one breast I know this is too early to start expressing. When should I start to express? I appreciate it will only be a few drops (if that) at a time but I would like to have some for my boy incase I can not feed him myself straight away.

While I'm asking is there anything else I should be doing to prepare or that I should know about establishing breast feeding when there is a separation for a period of time?

BlackberrySeason Fri 08-Nov-13 14:33:33

Romilly, it is a great idea to look into whether you can express colostrum for your baby in case they need scbu. You should always discuss with your medical team before doing antenatal expressing, just to check they think it is safe for you and your baby. You can usually express antenatally from around 34 weeks iirc, provided the dr is happy you to do that.

There is a la Leche league leaflet you can get on antenatal expression of colostrum and you can buy this from then online for a few quid. They will also advise on their helpline.

workingtitle Fri 08-Nov-13 15:06:16

Hi Romily, I'm not sure about expressing while pregnant. Someone wiser than me will come along but afaik you should avoid it as it can induce labour.
you should get lots of support in hospital with establishing feeding. My experience was that to start with the midwives hand expressed colostrum into a syringe for me (I did try myself but didn't get much). After a day or two they taught me how to use an electric pump to start expressing and I quickly built up supply. He started having it from a syringe then bottle (would have been a cup but his tongue tie meant he couldn't 'lap' the milk). To stabilise blood sugars DS had to be topped up with formula for a while.
I wish you all the best for the rest of your pregnancy and hope your little one is ok X

workingtitle Fri 08-Nov-13 15:36:29

Sorry, I mean expressing with a pump - sure hand expressing is ok! Can you ask your hosp about it?

BlackberrySeason Fri 08-Nov-13 16:33:01

Working, it is not uncommon for pg women expecting babies likely to need scbu to express colostrum while pg. I will try to post some links that may help, op.

BlackberrySeason Fri 08-Nov-13 16:37:46

This is an nhs leaflet on antenatal expression - aimed at diabetic mums but you will see it says non diabetic mums can do it too. Recommends 37 weeks on, but I would still speak to your medical team before starting to express, just to check they are happy for you to:

www.swbh.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Expressing-your-milk-antenatally.pdf

I think you are planning ahead really well and it is a great thing to be considering.

Romily Fri 08-Nov-13 16:57:36

Thank you so much for the advice and links. I will of course discuss it with my HCPs before I do anything I just want to be prepared in advance. It has the potential to be a scary time late in my pregnancy and I don't want to be trying to take in any more info or to be trying to find things out when already tired and emotional.

BlackberrySeason Fri 08-Nov-13 19:43:40

Romilly that sounds like a great approach. If there is a chance your baby could be in scbu for a few days or more after birth definitely get the hospitals agreement that they will lend you a hospital grade pump as that will make a huge difference.

Something else that might be really helpful is for you to touch base with an LLL group near you now as you can start going to meetings while you are pg and they can then offer you support during the antenatal expressing, expressing while your baby is in scbu (if that happens) and give you bf support after that too.

Do you have a copy of the LLL book, the womanly art of bf? That has lots of useful stuff about expressing and is generally a great bf book.

BlackberrySeason Fri 08-Nov-13 19:47:16

You might also want to stock up with the following things at home:

Lansinoh cream (the purple nipple cream you don't need to wash off before bf)

Milk storage bags for freezing expressed bm and Tupperware boxes to put them in for the freezer so they don't smell/taste of freezer for your baby.

Your own home electric breast pump for use when you are no longer using the hospital grade pump

Sterilising kit for the pump - I used the microwave steriliser steam bags by Medela but you need to check if they are ok with your pump.

BlackberrySeason Fri 08-Nov-13 19:47:50

Lansinoh do really good milk storage bags and you can get them on Amazon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now