Goats milk formula - why isn't it licensed in this country? Should I not feed my DS with it?

(18 Posts)
BumgrapesofWrath Thu 07-Nov-13 21:32:57

My DS is starting nursery soon. He will be going for 3 full days from 12 months of age. He is currently bf for all his milk feeds.

My concern is he still has a lot of milk in the day (maybe because he is a fairly good sleeper), and for my own reasons I don't want to start pumping again. So, even though people tell me he will be fine with just water in the day and will make up for missed feeds later on, I still think it would be the best thing to substitute some other milk in.

The reason I'm thinking goat's milk formula is I believe my son has an intolerance to cow's milk (green poos after yoghurt, uncomfortable, was very sicky as a baby).

I've looked online, and it looks like I can get it from e-bay, amazon etc. but nowhere else. I then realise it's not licensed. What is the reason for this, and if I get this for my DS will it cause him to grow an extra head or something?

(Sorry this is long, but I'm just pre-empting questions!!)

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 07-Nov-13 21:58:17

Don't know the reason for this, but if you think Lo has CMPI, I'd have a read of this and this.

I'm CMPI and just heave still the mere thought of goats milk, think I had it once and vomited so much its out me off for life...

hettienne Thu 07-Nov-13 21:59:50

If he's 12 months and still breastfed, couldn't he just have goat's milk rather than processed formula?

I was wondering that, at 12 months I'd just give milk rather than formula. Not sure about the issues with goats milk formula- sorry!

LIZS Thu 07-Nov-13 22:06:56

Infant version was stopped a few years ago but Ocado et al seem to have a follow on version for 1+.

BumgrapesofWrath Thu 07-Nov-13 23:11:12

To answer the formula question - I guess it's because formula is fortified with vitamins etc so was thinking it would be better.

hettienne Fri 08-Nov-13 07:35:51

By 12 months children are fine on just milk - don't fall for the formula advertising!

wispa31 Sun 17-Nov-13 01:30:53

Theres one called nannycare, its available in uk tho its made in nz. Theres a number on the tin for uk orderline. I mix feed my wee man on it, i should add tho that its not cheap, 19.95 a tin. If you google it should come up. We use it cos short of keeping goats ourselves we cant get raw organic goats milk here. If u can get it, use raw, organic goats milk. If not try the nannycare, they have the baby formula and a follow on. That was advice from both a clinical dietician and a doctor.

I would just give milk, if you're concerned about vitamins you can get vitamin drops, although if he's also having breastmilk I wouldn't worry.

Poppet45 Sun 17-Nov-13 20:18:01

If he has cmpi he's likely to react to the milk of all cloven hoofed animals so I really wouldnt risk goat milk - esp not raw organic stuff. The less processing milks had the more intact proteins it has for your dc's immune response to go nuts to. Raw milk would be horrendous. I'd look at oat or coconut milk (the fortified varieties) with alot of bfing as both are too low in fat for a 1 yo. Alternatively a hydrolysed or even totally hypoallergenic follow on formulae designed for cmpi sufferers.

bundaberg Sun 17-Nov-13 20:24:15

it isn't licenced because the majority of ppl with cow's milk protein intolerance are also intolerant to goat's milk

personally, at a year, I wouldn't be substituting anything. he should be absolutely fine with breastfeeding around nursery and whatever he normally eats/drinks while he is there.

mercibucket Sun 17-Nov-13 20:28:33

govt is going to license it soon

RawCoconutMacaroon Sun 17-Nov-13 20:43:16

SOME people will react to goat as well as cow milk, but most won't. The proteins are different, and even the lactose is better tolerated by people who react to the lactose in cows milk.

Goat milk is much closer nutritionally to human milk. It has less iron than cows milk but it has a higher bioavailability.

My DS has had supermarket goat milk since a year old, and the yogurts too when we can get them - (no raw available anywhere locally). He's fine with it. Several of his relatives on DH side of the family were the same - but their parents bought some goats and they got it fresh daily and thrived on it).
If you DS Cmp is fairly mild, no harm in trying the goats milk to see what happens, but you need to watch his food too- my DS reacts more strongly to things cooked with powdered milk (pretty much any shop bought cake or sweet treat), any more than a bite or two and his skin erupts with in a couple of hours.

Procrastreation Sun 17-Nov-13 20:53:31

I have raised my family on Goats Milk Formula (Nanny Care), moving on to fresh goats milk in due course.

It is lovely, lovely stuff.

We used to get ours from the health food shop (heavily gummed label declaring it a 'delicious drink for all the family' his the fact that it was actually infant formula). After a year, the 1+ stuff is widely available in Ocado etc - and obviously fresh goats milk.

It really gets on my wick that they've banned it. Wildly overstepping the amount of 'hard research' in this area to unilaterally declare this to be not only 'not recommended' but actively banned.

The only argument I've heard is the one raised above - that a reaction to cows milk will rule out goats milk - so that people should either be on regular formula, or on Soy/Hypoallergenic. Because there are no health implications for long term soy exposure? Because babies just thrive on that delicious hypoallergenic stuff. hmm Because silly mothers who only spend every moment of the day and night with their infants can't be trusted to form a local judgement on which milk product agrees best with that particular infant. hmm . Because systematic, professional allergy and intolerance testing is efficiently provided (with on-going support) to all children presenting symptoms. hmm .

It's good stuff; costs a fortune - but a quality product.

bluecheeseforbreakfast Sun 17-Nov-13 22:33:21

My mum breastfed me with one evening feed of fresh ( unpasteurized hmm ) organic goats milk. She did this from me being a newborn.

I am mostly normal smile

BumgrapesofWrath Mon 18-Nov-13 00:46:25

forsThanks all! I bought the Nannycare formula and guess what? He won't drink it! He will, however, drink cow's milk, and so far no green, smelly nappies (though I suppose he's getting to the age where he may be growing out of any intolerances.)

I know in theory he should be able to do without milk in the day, but I'm not convinced, he seems to need a lot (he is 98 %ile if that makes any difference)

RawCoconutMacaroon Mon 18-Nov-13 07:37:23

It's possible (and not unusual) to develop a temporary problem with cows milk after illness. Maybe that was the problem?

However - keep watching, he may be fine with some milk but react if he has it daily.

bundaberg Mon 18-Nov-13 08:53:17

Actually procras nice guidelines clearly state that soy formula should not be prescribed either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now