Help - 7 month DS (FF) hardly feeding at all, losing weight

(6 Posts)
SayCoolNowSayWhip Thu 07-Nov-13 13:38:13

Hi, DS (7 month) has been FF since 4 months as he had a TT which was snipped twice but grew back both times. BF just became too difficult!

He has done really well on formula, but lately it has become more and more difficult to feed him. He won't let the bottle anywhere near his mouth, and will arch his back and scream. He has had a chest infection, and still has a bit of a cold, but he hasn't got a temperature.

He won't let me give him any Calpol or teething powders, as I think he is teething, so could that be the problem? Sore gums, so he won't let me put the bottle in his mouth?

Anyone had this? Getting a bit concerned as he is definitely losing weight now. Yesterday I could only get 1 and a half 7 oz bottles in him during the day. He had another one overnight. He's waking up a lot in the night crying, but does not seem to be hungry.

tiktok Thu 07-Nov-13 14:28:20

Needs a doc or at least an HV's opinion - any time a baby actually loses weight (and you're sure about this? It's not that he's just dropped a centile space or two on the chart?) merits investigation.

It sounds like something's going on - even minor illnesses which get better by themselves can put babies off feeding, and things right themselves, but it sounds like you do need RL help.

rachyconks Thu 07-Nov-13 14:35:40

How long has this been going on for? How is he with solid food? My DD had this around the same age. She also had a illness, teething and began to take an interest in her solids a lot more. I would also only be getting 1-1.5 7oz bottles into her. Lasted about 2 weeks. Since then she has guzzled her bottles. Still don't know what changed. She too lost a bit of weight.

Took her to GP and HV also had 6-9 month check at this time. Neither were overly concerned and asked me to monitor her for signs of illness etc. she put the weight back on in no time.

Definitely seek medical advice if you are worried though. For my DD her illness was a tummy bug, GP said refusing milk was a telltale sign, but don't know how much truth there is in that!

Re: calpol. If you are using the syringe thing, I find putting it down the side of the cheek when they are sleepy is the most effective method. DD hates it too (loves the taste, hates me giving it to her!). You can get a dummy that you put the calpol in and they suck it out too.

SayCoolNowSayWhip Thu 07-Nov-13 14:42:50

Thanks for the replies. I have a GP appt later today but just wanted to get some anecdotal advice as well.

We did buy the medicine dummy yesterday which did work last night, but he's wised up to it today!

It's been going on for quite a while - as I say, he's always been quite difficult to feed. Has to be quiet, relaxed, not distracted. Mostly end up feeding to sleep - not for the sleep benefit (he self settles quite well) but because it's the only time he'll feed!

Not that into his solids. Can't get a spoon near him so just doing finger foods atm. He plays with them but not sure how much he eats, and he's usually sick afterwards sad Seems to have worse nights after having solids as well so there's definitely something not right.

rachyconks Thu 07-Nov-13 14:56:04

I would definitely mention this to the doctor if he is sick after solids. Don't worry too much about spoon though. My DD never really bothered with the spoon. Has he ever has any problems with reflux, colic etc?

SayCoolNowSayWhip Thu 07-Nov-13 15:04:31

Yep he had both when he was younger but colic was gone about 3 months and reflux peaked at 6 then seemed to die down...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now