Thought I wanted to stop BF - I'm starting to change my mind. Any advice?

(5 Posts)
carovioletfizz Tue 05-Nov-13 21:05:40

A babymoon might be a good idea if practical Little, take to bed with him and just feed feed feed with lots of skin to skin contact. Many mums in your situation have found this to work really well. Good luck!

tiktok Tue 05-Nov-13 15:17:23

Play by ear.....there are no rules smile

We're not talking fragile newborn, and your supply was well-established. Just making a guess here, but you could just go for it. Obviously, any sign your ds is unhappy or hungry even if you keep putting him on again, and you can break out the formula. See what happens smile

Thanks Tiktok that's really reassuring. I'll go back to 2 hourly feeds and hope that does the trick! Should I top up with formula and gradually reduce, or just go cold turkey?

tiktok Tue 05-Nov-13 14:24:14

Just start breastfeeding again, LPH.

Your supply won't have disappeared after a week, especially as you have been continuing with an overnight one.

It will have dropped, but frequent feeding, from both sides, will restore it again....prob in a few days smile

I always had a goal to bf DS to 6 months, and thought I'd see at the time about carrying on for longer.

Since 4 months his sleep has gone haywire. I know this is related to a developmental leap, and it has slightly improved, but I'm so knackered that when he hit 6 months decided to stop Bf anc switch to FF in the hope I can get a routine sorted and solve the sleep problems.

It's been just over a week, and I've dropped all feeds except for around 4am when he wakes up.

Since stopping I feel really down, I'm not sure if this is due to a hormonal change? But I'm getting quite emotional and missing BF and I'm starting to think stopping was a mistake.

DS has quite a bad cold and just now when he woke from his nap turned his head to my breast and so I fed him. It seemed to be quite a good feed so I am encouraged my supply hasn't completely disappoeared.

How do I go about reestablishing breastfeeding? Does anyone have any ideas about how badly my supply will have been affected, and what I should expect? I'm a bit scared about his sleep getting even worse. However he is now being weaned so I am hopeful eventually this will have a positive effect.

Sorry for the rambling message, any advice or experience is appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now