4 day old breastfed DD not had a poo since day 1

(13 Posts)
tiktok Tue 05-Nov-13 09:05:00

Frogs, that's great smile

SayCoolNowSayWhip Tue 05-Nov-13 08:12:54

grin Glad all is well.

FrogsGoWhat Tue 05-Nov-13 08:07:00

We had poo this morning! smile

And poo, and poo just kept on coming out. Last bit was brown seedy so almost there at yellow seedy.

Thanks for the advice anyway

FrogsGoWhat Mon 04-Nov-13 19:42:47

Oh and MUCH more of it than in that photo! It filled her little nappy bless her. Good adult handful/palmful.

FrogsGoWhat Mon 04-Nov-13 19:41:43

From those very good NCT poo pictures grin she has already had the day 3-4 poos - the last poos early day 2 were like that if not a bit paler green and runny.

SayCoolNowSayWhip Mon 04-Nov-13 19:37:09

Sorry, was just going by personal experience.

DS came out pooing, so I knew his bowels worked ok, but as I said, only pooed every 3 days. He was fine and hardly lost any weight.

AnythingNotEverything Mon 04-Nov-13 19:33:42

You should definitely mention this tomorrow - in fact they ought to ask. Newborns should poo every day.

There's good info (including pictures!) on the NCT website. They've been a godsend to me since DD was born two weeks ago.

FrogsGoWhat Mon 04-Nov-13 19:29:47

Thanks.

She was born Thursday 8lb 6, and was weighed Sunday 7lb 11. Does that sound ok?

The midwives are round again tomorrow so I'll ask them to check weight again. I assume it can wait til tomorrow and not a walk in centre tonight?

tiktok Mon 04-Nov-13 19:26:23

SayCool.....this is not correct info for a newborn. It is only ok in a baby of a few weeks old.

hettienne Mon 04-Nov-13 19:25:39

Yes, I would be a bit concerned and definitely speak to the midwife as soon as possible.

tiktok Mon 04-Nov-13 19:25:36

She needs to be weighed, Frogs, asap.

She may be fine. All those other signs are good smile

But no poo in a newborn is always always a sign you need to check she is managing to transfer milk ok.

SayCoolNowSayWhip Mon 04-Nov-13 19:25:25

It's probably fine, as long as she's having wet nappies.

DS used to have a massive explosion every 3 days or so.

If it goes longer than a week, then check with your midwife or HV.

FrogsGoWhat Mon 04-Nov-13 19:22:55

Not sure this is the right place. Apologies if not.

Anyway - as per title - do I worry? She is having plenty of soggy nappies, my milk has come in very well, she is farting lots, just not pooing.

Feeding very well about every 2-3 hours day and night taking 2-3 sides over 45 mins or so, with little naps between "sides". No pain for me.

She did do plenty of poos in the first 24 hrs though - was even changing to green runny so I know her system "works".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now