I have to go dairy free :(

(61 Posts)
ElBombero Wed 23-Oct-13 15:28:14

I'm in the grieving process, after eliminating infection it's looking like my DS green mucousy stools are due to a CMPI.

No more chocolate, tea or coffee whilst feeding my boy. How can I get through Xmas? Throughout xfactor without chocolate? I know this sounds incredibly selfish but I am already egg, gluten and nut free sad

SeriouslySleepDeprived Fri 25-Oct-13 12:26:45

DS is dairy & soy allergy and had loads of symptoms other than the forest green nappies. He was super windy/farty, had patches of eczema, very mucusy sounding, reflux and a terrible sleeper.

I'm a coeliac so dairy, soy and gluten free and I have found that tough enough. I would really get a second opinion before eliminating any more out your diet.

HabitualLurker Fri 25-Oct-13 13:04:48

How's your LO getting on now?

I'm another voice saying you may be jumping the gun a little. It could just be an infection that's taking a little while to get over. My now 13mo had several incidences of the green frothies, each taking a few weeks to get over.

He's not CMPI and it had nothing to do with foremilk/hindmilk imbalance nonsense either, though well-meaning friends did suggest that was the root of the problem.

ElBombero Fri 25-Oct-13 16:18:55

Hi guys, thanks so much for all the responses.

I've decided to hold off going dairy free, I assure you it's not me jumping the gun, going dairy free is the last thing I want! It's all on advise of the HP. So following advice from here and RL I went to see a 2nd GP who's told me to send another sample so awaiting results of that.

DS is still having very bad nappies and wind at every feed but he is settled and happy. His poo is army green, watery, frothy at times, looks like seaweed in his nappy x

Oodisgonnagetya Fri 25-Oct-13 18:42:02

Try block feeding as well. That helped ds with my over supply.

Viviennemary Fri 25-Oct-13 18:48:40

That sounds really tough. But there are a lot of ideas on this thread. Good luck!

arlandria666 Fri 25-Oct-13 20:12:29

my little one is 5 months and I have been dairy free since he was 10 days old I had to do a 4 week exclusion and then reintroduce but it made him poorly so I am still dairy free and taking prescribed calcium + vit d supplements.
Despite being dairy free at around 8 weeks DS went for 8 days having green nappies it was awful but I block fed and it soon cleared up. Hope you get to the bottom of it...ps I agree Asda dairy free chocolate buttons are yum and koko chocolate coconut milk makes a yummy chocolate rice pudding smile

48th Fri 25-Oct-13 21:18:19

Op if you block feed it will reduce your baby's weight gain.

Oodisgonnagetya Fri 25-Oct-13 21:24:23

Is that right 48th ? It was a bf counsellor that suggested it to me to combat the over active supply/lactose overload. Feeling bad now sad

48th Fri 25-Oct-13 21:30:29

Yeah it is right, it may have been a good choice for you though. If you do have over supply then your baby would ordinarily gain heavily, over 7oz a week (this can be normal anyway) and the would be other signs often too like engorgement or a hair trigger let down reflex ( though you can have this without over supply).

48th Fri 25-Oct-13 21:31:44

Tbh honest oodis... If your baby let you block feed they were probably doing just fine on itsmile

looseleaf Fri 25-Oct-13 21:33:30

I have been gluten and dairy free for 2.3 years breastfeeding DS and now I've just stopped and safe to eat dairy again I can't stand it! (Apart from yoghurt) So I really hope you'll adjust as well as I have.
I feel healthier than ever in fact and have focused quite a lot on proper eating eg all home-cooked and on a thorough vitamin& mineral supplement in case.

I can totally understand your dismay and you have egg and nuts to avoid so more than me but i did find dairy easier than gluten by far - M&S dairy free spread for example is our favourite, and DS loves Oatly milk in a blue carton (from fridge in some big supermarkets) which is enriched with calcium etc (the long life one isn't)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now