baby has oral thrush, medicine not touching it, any advice

(12 Posts)

Ds2 is 18 weeks and has oral thrush. He is ebf. I got medicine from gp, an oral solution, but it is still bad 1 week later? Any advice, other than revisiting gp? I'm showing no sign on my breasts, and have also been treating myself.

nextphase Wed 16-Oct-13 21:11:10

Hot wash your underwear, and get back to the GP.
DS2 (2) had oral thrush recently, and it cleared in a couple of days (oral drops 4 times a day)

hettienne Wed 16-Oct-13 21:14:13

Is it nystatin drops? Didn't make any difference for us either and the HV told me it usually doesn't! Daktarin oral gel fixed it within a few days though - I treated my nipples too despite not having symptoms and also had to treat DS's thrush nappy rash.

leavesalmondoutofit Wed 16-Oct-13 21:27:55

Hi, sorry you are struggling with this. You should be getting treatment for your nipples as well in case he infects you and you reinfect him.

The difficulty with the nystan drops is that babies swallow them straight over. GPs have been reluctant to prescribe Daktarin oral gel since a baby choked on the gel.

To use the drops effectively, put the drops on a spoon. You can use the dropper if you are very dexterous. Dip a clean finger into the nystan and use it to coat your baby’s mouth. Make sure you do all the cheeks, the roof of his mouth and all over his gums. Keep going until his mouth is clean.

When it has resolved it is a good idea to change all teats and dummies as no sterilising method is guaranteed to kill all the thrush and there is a small chance of reinfection.

Most mums who have a baby with thrush are not infected with it themselves at the time.

Good Luck

Thanks, I've been treating myself with the nystan as well. I've been trying to rub it on correct areas, ie gums, cheeks, etc.
Thanks leaves I'll try the spoon trick.
If not back to the gp it is. He had thrush in first few weeks and daktarin cleared it up really quickly! Annoying this stuff not as good.

Munxx Wed 16-Oct-13 22:01:28

Useful link

http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/dibm/Thrush_and_Breastfeeding_Feb_2013.pdf

Sorry am feeding baby.....

Munxx Wed 16-Oct-13 22:01:54
Doodlekitty Wed 16-Oct-13 22:04:06

Nystan is not the ideal treatment if its ongoing as it contains sugar so can make matters worse. I used pure coconut oil between treatments, it eased my discomfort and is apparently very good for thrush

rachyconks Wed 16-Oct-13 22:07:19

Definitely try to get daktarin oral gel. DD got it prescribed by hospital after being admitted with gastric bug. Thrush was all over her mouth, down her throat and on her lips. It was horrible. The daktarin cleared it within hours. It was amazing.

Can anyone tel me why they get thrush? Can I prevent it? He's only ever had breast milk, and feeds briliantly but a lot! He's over 23lbs now. Someone told me big babies get it more? No idea why?

Smugsmuggler Wed 16-Oct-13 22:38:31

You might need oral tablets to eradicate thrush n you, even though you are asymptomatic. You and baby should both have your blood sugar checked too.

hettienne Wed 16-Oct-13 22:51:20

DS got it firstly because we were given antibiotics at birth, and then again at about 12 months when he had antibiotics for an ear infection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now