Bf 2 week old - no dirty nappies and distressed

(25 Posts)
LadyDowagerHatt Fri 18-Oct-13 01:01:04

Lilyve - I can't claim to have even a smidgen of the knowledge TikTok has but I think I recall a previous answer to this! As said up thread newborns should be having at least 3-4 dirty nappies a day (after day 4) and if they are not it can be an indicator that they are not taking on enough milk. After 4-6 weeks some babies will then go less frequently - it is only at this stage that long periods between bowel movements is the norm.

However some babies do not poo frequently in the first 4 weeks but are gaining weight well, therefore they are getting enough milk - this really is the exception. It seems your baby falls into that category and there is nothing to worry about - it doesn't follow the normal pattern but as long as the weight gain is good there is no problem. TikTok I'm sure you'll correct me if any of that is not right!

WorkingTitle - hope you are having a better night.

workingtitle Thu 17-Oct-13 22:54:19

Thank you, NatashaBee. He is getting wet nappies which is good. I think we'll see how tonight goes.

NatashaBee Thu 17-Oct-13 21:32:51

BF babies don't necessarily need to go often Lilyve, if his nappies are wet and he's otherwise fine then I wouldn't worry. I've heard anything up to 10 days is normal.

OP, I would call the OOH - I'm not sure if the cottage cheese vomit is anything to worry about (pretty sure DS used to throw up like that sometimes and I've heard other people mention it too), but I would be concerned about him getting dehydrated if it continues.

Lilyve Thu 17-Oct-13 21:25:40

Sorry to hijack the post!

Lilyve Thu 17-Oct-13 21:25:08

My newborn is 4 weeks and he only poos once every 4-6 days, has been the same since my milk came in! He's putting on weight and ebf does this mean I need to be worried tiktok?

workingtitle Thu 17-Oct-13 21:24:39

Sorry, to add--he is vomiting a fair amount also, very cottage cheese-y.

We had a tongue tie snipped yesterday and the midwife said he was very windy & that he might be taking in lots of air with his feeds, but I don't know why that would stop him pooing for extended periods?

workingtitle Thu 17-Oct-13 21:08:36

Just resurrecting this in case anyone can help, had an awful couple of nights with DS crying in pain, hard tummy, scrunching up etc. would not sleep last night and eventually had him down at 04.30 but in bed with me. He was prem so cosleep ing not advised but I just can't stay awake like that another night.

Today there have been no poos all day, then two HUGE explosive poos this evening. Can he be constipated? Should I consult the doctor? Poor mite seems so unhappy.

rootypig Thu 10-Oct-13 18:29:18

Yay poo! and sorry if my advice was misleading blush

workingtitle Thu 10-Oct-13 09:02:36

Thanks, Tiktok, we'll definitely see someone if it happens again.

tiktok Thu 10-Oct-13 08:34:53

No poo is always a sign you need to investigate more, in a newborn.

It's only ok after a few weeks.

Some newborns are fine not pooing for a while so it's not diagnostic but it can mean the baby is not feeding well, so you'd be weighing the baby and checking the milk is being transferred. Babies in apparent discomfort also need checking out.

Having said that babyworkingtitle sounds fine now smile

workingtitle Thu 10-Oct-13 08:10:23

thanks thank you everyone, we have poo! Glorious poo!! Just as we were getting ready to go to the GP. DH spent an hour rubbing his tummy while I had a sleep, seemed to do the trick. Hopefully he'll settle down now...

redcaryellowcar Thu 10-Oct-13 05:46:47

well done dh, and especially working hope doctors goes well tomorrow, will be thinking of you.

workingtitle Thu 10-Oct-13 05:44:05

Thanks so much, I really appreciate the replies when it's been a long night. No poo yet and still very fractious so I think we'll pop to the docs in the morning . His temp is fine, which is good. DH just came down and is making me a cup of tea smile

Sunnysummer Thu 10-Oct-13 05:19:54

Afaik even ebf newborns poo regularly. From about 6 weeks DS only pooed once a week or so, but in the early days it was still almost every nappy. If it seems odd then there is no harm checking with the GP - in the meantime agree with cycling the legs, also helps us to hold him with his back to us and his knees raised up to his stomach (looks a bit like a baby who has fallen into their potty, IYSWIM!), and when I have prunes or prune juice. Hope he goes soon! smile

redcaryellowcar Thu 10-Oct-13 05:08:28

sorry only just seen your last message, so tiring when they are unwell do you have dh or dp who could make you tea and toast, its a long night.

redcaryellowcar Thu 10-Oct-13 05:06:07

be led by your instincts, if you are feeling concerned as this 'discomfort' is not normal for your ds then get it checked out, probably by doctor. ds was four weeks prem and we were well looked after by our local practice when he was poorly at four weeks.
it sounds strange but I knew something was wrong with ds as he was not his usual self!

workingtitle Thu 10-Oct-13 05:00:13

Thanks, timeforgin and rootypig. He won't be put down tonight so it's been a long one, here's hoping for poo and rest soon!

timeforgin Thu 10-Oct-13 04:51:13

Hmmmm perhaps TikTok will be along soon but I think for the first few weeks newborns should have frequent poos? The EBF once-every-ten-days poo is fine in an older (I think 6 weeks plus??) baby but teeny ones should be pooping every day I think.

V happy to be corrected.

I find a bit of tummy time also helpful on getting poos out (my son is 4 weeks). What you describe certainly sounds like wind but if in doubt check with your midwife/doc if no poop forthcoming soon.

rootypig Thu 10-Oct-13 04:40:48

Reread my post and wanted to add - of course you know your baby best so if you do think he's in a lot of pain or discomfort, get him checked smile. Just a lack of dirty nappies for a few days isn't, on its own, cause for concern.

workingtitle Thu 10-Oct-13 04:24:47

No joy yet but he did let me cycle them
(Is still stuck in newborn legs up!) so I'll give it another go soon. I will try the belly button / tummy things too! Thank you.
I didn't know that about poos - thank you for explaining, that is very reassuring. DS took us by surprise and I am rather clueless!

rootypig Thu 10-Oct-13 03:55:09

Any luck? cycling the legs can help get his bowels going. You can also do gentle massage (use two fingers) clockwise around his belly button. I also found lying DD on her tum for a bit seemed to help getting wind up and poo out, it was a gentle pressure I suppose.

More generally, as long as he's wetting nappies, you don't need to worry. I mean, be concerned about his discomfort, but not worried, iyswim. An ebf baby can go a while - a week or more - without doing a good poo, because their body uses the milk so well. DD went through a fair few phases with her poo, from four a day to one every three days to two a day and so on, as her digestive system matured and her growth came in spurts.

workingtitle Thu 10-Oct-13 03:50:56

Is that to work out trapped wind?

workingtitle Thu 10-Oct-13 03:49:29

Will try that now, NatashaBee!

NatashaBee Thu 10-Oct-13 03:45:15

Have you tried cycling his legs like he's riding a bicycle?

workingtitle Thu 10-Oct-13 03:24:45

DS is two weeks old, was premature and is small, if that is relevant. He is now EBF using a nipple shield.. In the past 12 hours or so we've had just a tiny amount of very watery poo in his nappies and he seems to be in pain - grizzling, unsettled, scrunching up or kicking and hard to settle in his crib. He's feeding a lot, roughly every 1.5 - 2 hours and I'm winding him for about 20-30 mins after each feed. We are getting wet nappies,

Any idea what might be going on? I'm particularly worried about the lack of poo as he's always had a good amount of dirty nappies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now