When to start extending feeds?

(10 Posts)
LittleMilla Wed 25-Sep-13 08:50:13

He's clearly ahead of me and the HV - slept from 8-4 last night (with a dreamfeed at 10.30) and then through to 8am! Had to check him multiple times as I was terrified something was wrong - so typical that I feel knackered grin.

I remember from DS1 that nights like this are hard because you know what they're capable of, but then a repeat is often way off!! Love him though, such a good boy.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 25-Sep-13 08:20:41

Honestly don't know why she said that. The SIDS guidelines say they should sleep in the same room as you, your Lo seems to have read it even if she hasn't!

It can be hard to trust your instincts but your seem spot on smile

LittleMilla Tue 24-Sep-13 21:13:24

Yes - ergo baby which I love. A million times better than the shit baby bjorn I had with ds1.

Laughed at the bf lady last week when she asked where ds2 slept. I said that in the daytime it was either sling, pushchair or baby bouncer (when exhausted and ignored at the end of the day!!). She said I needed to try and do at least one sleep in his cot. But with ds1 to keep busy, trying to get him in the groove of a big nap at home is tantamount to suicide! He self settles for night feeds (dummy to go off at night) which I don't think is too bad. Right? Main thing is that he isn't fed to sleep and we only use the dummy for the eve sleep or when I do try and out him down at home. He's keen to get his fist/thumb in his mouth and so I think that in a few weeks once his control is better, the dummy will be sidelined.

Sorry, massive diatribe. I just always struggle to trust my own judgement!

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 24-Sep-13 20:53:35

The sling really helped me t keep up with dc1, have you got one?

LittleMilla Tue 24-Sep-13 19:03:09

He woke up not long after I posted and I gave him two boobs. He's now fed on and off all afternoon and I'm just putting him down now.

I've got a brilliant DH who's very hands on with ds1 which is brill. The days that it's just is three tho are challenging! And he's a pretty well behaved toddler so I know I'm lucky!

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 24-Sep-13 14:50:40

So glad you got him checked out. What did you do this morning? Did you wake him?

Its so hard with a toddler to look after as well isn't it.

LittleMilla Tue 24-Sep-13 11:19:34

I guess he is, but then this morning he's been asleep since 9.15 and I fed him three hours ago. Should I wake him up?

When he goes for these longer stretches in the day (but not at night) I will offer him both boobs as he's normally quite hungry.

I've got a 2.5 year old and it took AGES for him to get in a proper groove, which is why I am less patient this time I think.

BTW Jilted - you were very kind when I had blocked ducts and offered lots of helpful advice. I went and saw a BF counsellor last week who said that a combination of oversupply, fast let down and lazy latch from DS were contributing. I am now trying to be more disciplined with his latch, but it's still a struggle to get him to open his mouth properly! She said it was deffo laziness (and me letting him get in to bad habits) vs tongue tie.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 24-Sep-13 09:50:08

Isn't he already in a routine? Sounds like he's sorted one out all by himself smile

If you are bfing are you offering both sides at each feed and have you tried breast compressions?

Agree with you HV on feeding on demand. Think if you refuse to feed him when he's hungry, you just spend half an hour consoling a crying baby.

If you do want to change your routine, try Babycalming. It works however you are feeding your baby and helps you to find a routine that suits both of you smile

I'm afraid my dd1 fed every 2 hrs during the day until weaning at 6 months! Dd2 went a bit longer between feeds (both bf), but I would agree you should just follow their lead. Personally, I never managed much of a routine until we started solids, but everyone's different.

LittleMilla Mon 23-Sep-13 19:07:20

Ds2 is 9 weeks old. I feed him roughly every two hours in the day. He goes down about 8pm then has a dream feed about 10. Usually sleeps until 2/3 then.

He'll wake up after that every 1-2 hours until ds1 wakes up at about 7.

I could prob stretch him to 2.5/3 hours in the day but terrified it'll bugger up nights. HV has just said to follow his lead but I'm desperate for some routine now.

Forgotten from ds1 when to start stretching out feeds!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now