Help - oversupply and engorgement in one breast

(17 Posts)
duende Sun 22-Sep-13 14:52:17

DD is 6 weeks and ebf. I've always had more milk in my right breast but in the the last 24 hours it's become really uncomfortable and I'm engorged again.
I wasn't sure if I had oversupply/oald before because I never spray milk, but she has always choked on the right breast, she gulps and she fussies a lot.
Since yesterday it's been worse and I'm now uncomfortable, engorged and lumpy.
What do I do?

BlackberrySeason Sun 22-Sep-13 14:59:43

My suspicion is that you have a blocked duct. Will post a helpful link in a second on what to do.

Is the pain only on one side?

Is it hot and do you have a temperature?

Do you have a small whitish blob on your nipple?

BlackberrySeason Sun 22-Sep-13 15:09:09
RandomMess Sun 22-Sep-13 15:10:18

I was going to say sounds like it could be the start of mastitis but I'm no expert.

BlackberrySeason Sun 22-Sep-13 15:18:47

This is the white blob I'm wondering if you also have:

www.mother-2-mother.com/nipplepain.htm%23MilkBlister

duende Sun 22-Sep-13 15:38:35

I don't have a blister or fever (yet?). But I don't know if it's beginning of mastitis so I should let her nurse of this breast and hopefully drain it, or if it's just engorgement caused by oversupply and I should try and feed her mainly of the other breast...
Trying to get through to LLL but only getting voicemails.

BlackberrySeason Sun 22-Sep-13 15:43:32

Right - I would treat as a suspected blocked duct / start of mastitis and do the following:

- feed her as often as possible off the engorged side.
- apply warm cloths and massage the sore side towards the nipple, to see if you can shift the blockage
- look out for appearance of a blister and treat accordingly if one comes
- keep an eye on your temperature in case you need antibiotics/gp
-REST - get DH to help you with nappy changes etc and take your baby to bed.

BlackberrySeason Sun 22-Sep-13 15:45:05

Keep calling LLL - it may take 30 minutes of redialling, but someone will answer.

Sending you hugs - it will pass but I know how sore it can be.

duende Sun 22-Sep-13 18:33:08

blackberry thanks so much.
I managed to get through in the end and the lady suggested feeding off the engorged breast enough to get some relief but try and feed on hath other one more. She said it didn't sound like mastitis yet. I will have to go to a drop in clinic and discuss with someone how to solve this oversupply issue without causing myself more trouble.

BlackberrySeason Sun 22-Sep-13 18:39:30

Glad you got through to LLL - so much easier for someone to help properly when they can speak to you.

Hope there is an LLL group near you? Mine is great.

lolalotta Mon 23-Sep-13 07:13:20

OP I posted about oversupply and a fast let down a few days ago. One lovely poster suggested I google a feeding position called "biological nursing"...I YouTubed it and it has helped my DD so much. Basically you feed baby tummy to tummy I'm a reclined position, meaning baby has to work harder to get the milk seeing as gravity isn't at play so baby gets it slower and doesn't choke them up so much. My DD was suffering from wind through taking milk on so quickly and since I have discovered this new way the wind has almost disappeared! Good luck and please give it a go! grin

duende Mon 23-Sep-13 12:40:07

lolalotta I tired biological nursing before but we didn't get it. She was just lying on me, with her head buried in my (not large) boob getting annoyed. :/

yummymumtobe Mon 23-Sep-13 12:53:57

I have overfull breasts too and a white pimple on the left nipple which is sore. The health visitor today said to feed as normal (even though it's sore). Hopefully the baby will clear the blockage with the sucking. Also, maybe offer feeds rather than only feeding on demand to try to drain the breasts a bit. Apparently damp breast pads can contribute to infection so need to change pads frequently.

lolalotta Mon 23-Sep-13 13:45:43

OP sometimes my DD just buries her head in my not large boob top, lol! I sometimes find it easier if I latch her on tummy to tummy in a more upright position and then recline gently backwards on to the pillows on the sofa/ bed if that makes sense?

lolalotta Mon 23-Sep-13 13:45:59

Too not top! grin

BlackberrySeason Mon 23-Sep-13 14:02:14

Yummy, you have a milk blister - if you look on kellymom there is an excellent explanation of how to treat.

yummymumtobe Mon 23-Sep-13 17:13:47

Thanks blackberry, I will take a look!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now