Losec MUPS question for you reflux experts!!

(4 Posts)
LindsayS79 Sun 22-Sep-13 10:08:35

Hi all
My GP gave me losec MUPS and they are so much easier to dissolve than an omeprazol tab I was given previously.
Both GP and pharmacist said to dissolve in 10ml water and give via syringe. I'm having the usual issues of the little bits of the pill getting stuck etc.
my question is: is the the milky looking fluid or the actual pieces of the pill that contains the actual drug? I'm finding she quite likes me to rub some of the pill particles that gets stuck on the inside of her cheek!! My pharmacist said don't worry about giving her too much. But I was wondering if I have to give her all the fluid too, as well as the pill particles!!!
Also does anyone's LO suffer bad trapped wind with losec..? I'm not getting any burps and she was in pain last night..

duende Sun 22-Sep-13 12:06:36

Lindsay you need to make sure you give the granules, they contain the active ingredient. How much are you supposed to give?
If they told you to dissolve a tablet in 10ml and give 3ml, I find it will not be the exact amount because you will not get a third of the granules, iyswim? I find it easier to cut the tablet in two or three and give all that.

LindsayS79 Sun 22-Sep-13 12:30:39

Thanks duende. My GP told me to start her on around 5ml so I suppose I could half the tablet. GP also said that she could have the full 10ml though and it would still be on a safe range for her.
Thanks again!

PumpingRSI Sun 22-Sep-13 21:53:23

I find its easier to dissolve tablet, then spoon feed in (and drain some of the water off leaving dissolved granules on spoon and tip into mouth. When I was trying with syringe it was getting stuck in syringe, I was giving water not medicine and he was still poorly. Now I can see that a good portion has def got into his mouth.
HTH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now