B/F my periods returned then disappeared again-anybody else experienced this?!

(6 Posts)
Victoria2002 Sat 21-Sep-13 19:00:56

DS 14m is exclusively breast fed but now only feeds at 7pm and likes to have one at 5am (but goes back to sleep after-thank god)! At 11m my periods returned, I was very pleased as DP and I are ttc, I had 4 cycles all fairly regular, then a TWELVE DAY period-most unusual for me, and now my period is 8 days late! I took a test on the day it was due and again when it was 4 days late but both were negative.
So my questions are has this happened to anyone else?
And I really wanna ttc and am tempted to visit the doctor but I suspect they'll just fob me off or tell me to come back in a few months or (my big fear) not be able to help me unless I give up breast feeding entirely.

Boobybeau Sat 21-Sep-13 21:27:23

You need to be breastfeeding at least every 4hrs for it to reduce your fertility so I doubt that will be the cause. May be you're just having a linfer cycle thus time? Still very early days so I think your right in that the dr will tell you to come back in a few months. I would only visit them just now if you start having bleeds inbetween your periods. Good luck with ttc

Victoria2002 Sat 21-Sep-13 22:03:47

Thanks boobybeau, I'm the wrong side of 35 now and freezing about "wasting" a few months waiting to find out what's going on.

oohdaddypig Sat 21-Sep-13 22:10:36

I reduced bfeeding, periods returned for a few months then disappeared for another two. I think things just take a while to settle down.

I wonder if it takes longer for hormones to settle if you are still doing a couple of feeds a day? When I stopped feeding my other child I went cold turkey and didnt have same issue. Who knows.

Good luck ttc!

Victoria2002 Sat 21-Sep-13 22:31:11

Thanks daddypig, that's good to know I'm not the only one-hopefully nothing sinister. Ttc sends you crazy!

mrsmartin1984 Sat 21-Sep-13 22:41:10

Had a period when DD was 10 weeks old. I was gutted cause I was looking forward to not having them. She is now 7 1/2 months and have not had one since then. REJOICE!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now