So we've stopped....waaaaahhh h :-( what happens now?

(8 Posts)
tory79 Sun 15-Sep-13 23:55:17

Ds is 2 next week (how??) and I last fed him 5 days ago. We were down to 1 feed at bedtime, probably 5/6 nights a week (missed nights were if someone else put him to bed) having dropped the morning feed and nap time feed over the course of the last month.

I KNOW he was ready, we've done it gradually, I've never refused him or tried too hard to distract him, he just hasn't been interested, and when he did feed he wasn't really actively feeding if you know what I mean. And I'm glad we've stopped in this way, but I'm sooooooooooo sad and teary about it. I don't think I was ready at all smile

So now I'm 5 days from the last feed. Boobs don't feel full or anything - am I now past the point where I'm going to get any engorgement? How long before I just don't have any milk?

Also, in my head I'm convinced ds is suddenly going to come down with loads of illnesses etc now I'm not feeding him....is he??? Will anything change for him?

Thank you sad

tory79 Mon 16-Sep-13 13:26:01

Hopeful bump smile

fhdl34 Mon 16-Sep-13 15:47:00

My dd weaned a while back at 18 months but my situation is a little different as I'm pregnant so my supply dropped very quickly and then she just didn't like the colostrum. I didn't get engorged but then my boobs are in pregnancy mode anyway.

tory79 Mon 16-Sep-13 20:39:36

Thanks fhdl, anyone else stop in similar circumstances?

tory79 Tue 17-Sep-13 13:57:33

Anyone?

Indith Tue 17-Sep-13 14:03:01

smile What a lovely end to bf.

With such a gradual stop you probably won't feel engorged. It can take ages to completely stop producing milk so don't be surprised if you are still able to get a few drops out in several months time! Not that I have ever curiously tried to express months after stopping feeding

You've done a grand job of supporting his immune system as he develops, he certainly isn't going to just start getting ill. Nothing will change really, you'll still get all your snuggles they jsut won't involve a hand down your top hoiking your boobs out for a drink grin.

Congratulations on 2 brilliant years. Have some wine and cake and take care of yourself, you can feel pretty blue for a while after stopping.

midori1999 Tue 17-Sep-13 19:13:55

I'm similar to fhdl34 really. My DD dry nursed throughout my pregnancy when my milk dried up, then stopped when I was about 30/31 weeks and my colostrum came back, although she'd been feeding a lot less often until then. (Just bedtimes and then missing every third night or so)

DD was just 26 months and I was surprised at how I felt about it tbh, it really upset me and I'm not sure why as my intention had always been to BF until DD self weaned, which she did. I think maybe I felt the pregnancy may have pushed her into it a bit.

Anyway, DD is absolutely fine. She's occasionally asked for 'boobies' but she just wants to cuddle up to them really, which I'm fine with. We talk about mummy's milk being for the baby in my tummy now when he's big enough to come out and she seems fine with that. Certainly no illnesses and also cut a back tooth no problems.

tory79 Tue 17-Sep-13 21:44:05

It's a cruel irony but he's just been diagnosed with croup!!! Bad enough to get steroids as well. So now if course I feel totally responsible, although interestingly even now he's poorly he's still not asked for milk.

Indith, thank you for that lovely post, made me cry a bit more! And thank you for sharing midori.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now