should I continue?

(12 Posts)
pinkr Sun 15-Sep-13 16:57:35

I have a cracked nipple on one side...should I keep going on that side or leave it a few days or use a shield? I've had latch advice and now i'm confident the latch should be better if I can get rid of the crack. Thanks

gamerchick Sun 15-Sep-13 17:04:12

I would leave it 24 hours. Nipples are awesome at healing fast. It'll still smart a bit tomorrow but hopefully will be healed.

I feel your pain. The early days suck a bit.

pinkr Sun 15-Sep-13 17:05:36

Thanks. She seems to have drained the other side empty so i'm worried about her getting enough

fruitpastille Sun 15-Sep-13 17:19:56

You could express from the bad side for 24 hours and give in a cup (or I used a bottle with no problems). The pump pressure can sometimes open the crack though. I used shields a lot too.

midori1999 Sun 15-Sep-13 17:20:44

I would keep feeding from both sides personally (and did). If you get the latch sorted then you can feed from the cracked side painlessly and it will heal whilst feeding.

Biological nurturing can help get a good l latch but getting the baby to cooperate isn't always so easy.

Bunnychan Sun 15-Sep-13 17:43:11

Keep going! This happened to me so I fed on the other side then made that side sore too! Resulted in tears of 'I just can't do it, I'm so sore!' HOWEVER, it healed quickly once I adjusted my positioning/tried different ones, used tons of nipple cream and let them get some air (this helped loads). I nursed all the way through it and after a few weeks it stopped being painful altogether. I find now that certain brands of breast pads make me sore and now I sleep on a towel every night so they can get air. I still have a little scar on my nipple tho :-)

pinkr Sun 15-Sep-13 18:45:33

I've cracked and feed her from it but used a shield...out does look much better then this morning already. I'm away to a support group tomorrow and I'll get more help with the latch. Been sat in the house all day with no top on! !

pinkr Sun 15-Sep-13 18:46:45

She's three Weeks today...I thought I'd gotten over the initial discomfort and bleeding but this is so much deeper

midori1999 Sun 15-Sep-13 19:07:25

Moist wound healing will generally help things heal more easily. It stops a scab forming and so helps prevent bleeding during feeds. Lots of lanisoh and breast pads will promote moist wound healing.

midori1999 Sun 15-Sep-13 19:09:07

www.breastangels.co.uk/

These are meant to be very good too, but they're very expensive.

pinkr Sun 15-Sep-13 19:13:00

I have three tubes of lansinoh strategically placed around the house grin I just feel I keep getting setback once I think i'm getting somewhere. The longer I feed though the harder the thought of giving up gets.
!

Bunnychan Sun 15-Sep-13 20:50:09

You're doing an amazing job giving your baby the best start in life! Well done for persevering! In my limited (14 week) experience, you will have steps forward then steps back but it does get easier!!! And the longer you feed, the more attached to breast feeding you become lol! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now