When would infants naturally wean?

(6 Posts)
HopLittleFroggyHopHopHop Sat 14-Sep-13 16:09:33

I've read things about self weaning at different ages, but was wondering if we were all 'in the wild' what age children would be completely off breastmilk.

Puppies are still usually trying to feed off the mum when the mums had enough and is getting snappy, from what I've seen anyway, so is "encouragement" to stop what would happen naturally before self weaning age or does that only apply with certain mammals?
I'm planning to self wean anyway, just curious.smile

stargirl1701 Sat 14-Sep-13 19:48:20

I think the average is 4 years in populations where natural term weaning is normal. Children can bf until 7 years or so. I think the emergence of the adult teeth alter the jaw which removes the ability of the latch.

crikeybadger Sat 14-Sep-13 20:41:57

Have a google of Katherine Dettwyler, she's done some studies in to the natural age of weaning.

hettienne Sat 14-Sep-13 20:43:53

4 is probably about average, but I think some encouragement is probably natural too.

mawbroon Sun 15-Sep-13 01:15:09

stargirl, I can vouch for the fact that not all kids lose their latch when their big teeth come in.

I stopped ds1 at 7 because I was mightily pissed off with it. I was getting feeling that he was never going to stop off his own bat!

happydutchmummy Mon 16-Sep-13 00:01:42

Dd weaned when I became pregnant. She'd just turned 3. But I think she'd have carried on had I not become pregnant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now