Why won't 5 week old DD let me sit down in the evening??

(12 Posts)
HelgatheHairy Sat 14-Sep-13 10:27:20

Breast feeding DD is going well (after some great advice from here). She feeds really well during the day. The evenings a bit more problematic which I've put down to "fussy hour" (although its more like 3 hours) but there's a new development that is very awkward.

Basically, from 8-10 DD starts screaming, hitting and gets really worked up if I sit down (she's cluster feeding mostly with a few breaks). If I stand and walk around or rock from foot to foot she's calm but if I sit she gets all worked up. But she's fine during the day and let's me sit to feed her.

Is she actually trying to break me? confused

MortifiedAdams Sat 14-Sep-13 10:28:59

Its called cluster feeding. Par for the course with BFing Im afraid. Be prepared - set up camp.on the sofa with the tv remote, snacks and dp on hand to sort dinner etc.

MortifiedAdams Sat 14-Sep-13 10:29:35

Oops wrong thread!!

HelgatheHairy Sat 14-Sep-13 10:55:49

I was wondering Mortified! I was thinking the problem is she won't let me sit on the couch smile

MortifiedAdams Sat 14-Sep-13 11:33:48

Could she be overtired? Try after a big feed putting her in the buggy and walking round the house - the motion coupled with a full tum may send her off to sleep?

TwoStepsBeyond Sat 14-Sep-13 12:02:15

Its like they have a sensor that can tell if you are too close to the ground isn't it. Can you try perching on a high chair and working your way down to sofa level?! Does she object if you bounce/bop while sitting too?

Seriously, I really feel for you, it is so hard but like everything, it will pass. Where is your DH/P in the evenings, can he help with the walking/bouncing?

HelgatheHairy Sat 14-Sep-13 13:28:11

mortified I do think there's an element of overtiredness to it but she's cluster feeding at the same time so the earliest I can get her to sleep is 10ish.

twosteps I tried rocking/bouncing while sitting but not good enough. I have to be standing! Hadn't thought of working my way down, might try that tonight. DH takes her when she has a break in feeding so I can sit/stretch my back out.

Once she's not crying is the main thing but after a long day the last thing I want to be doing is walking/rocking at 9pm.

mawbroon Sun 15-Sep-13 01:17:12

Do you have an office chair, or a swivel chair of some sort? Might be worth trying for feeding on the move but also managing to sit down!

prissyenglisharriviste Sun 15-Sep-13 01:22:38

Ds1 was this baby. I had to dance with him between 5-11pm every night. Even just being upright wasn't enough. He got a easier about 4mos. We just played pass the baby nightly for 6 hours. Joyous.

LittleNutTree Sun 15-Sep-13 01:27:43

Do you have an exercise ball that you could sit and bounce on? I have total sympathy, my 3 have all been the same! They can tell the difference between me sitting and standing it seems! The exercise ball worked occasionally for me smile

HelgatheHairy Sun 15-Sep-13 12:48:22

Don't have a swivel chair or exercise ball. Last night she let me sit on the coffee table and rock her. Which at least meant I was sitting.

Could you lie down together and feed, taking the tv into the bedroom?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now