ow ow ow - yet more deep breast pain

(7 Posts)

Baby 14weeks. Poor latch. Posterior tongue tie snipped at 7ish weeks. Major puker. Doesn't feed for comfort. Sleeps 12-13 hours overnight. I often wake extreme engorged and don't feel my supply has settled. She feeds two or more hours throughyout the day - now a one boob baby.

My left breast has been feeling sore during the day, ensured baby has fed well from that side. Now quite painful deep inside. Have done breast massage but no sign of a blocked duct.

Thoughts? I fed my older child through NICU, through mixed feeds, through awful illness and stopped at 27months. This time baby is healthy but I'm struggling so much to feed.

One boob baby at each feed that should say

LittleMilla Fri 13-Sep-13 20:37:55

Thrush? I only had pain in one boob initially - does your lo have white spots in their mouth/tongue?

We've been treated for thrush in the past, I'm just having a warm bath to try and soak up the pain. Fecking hurts.

mawbroon Sun 15-Sep-13 11:57:16

My first line of investigation would be the tongue tie and getting an expert opinion as to whether there is still a restriction or not. Are you confident that it was fully released? Many frenectomies are not done properly <voice of experience> Was it done with scissors or laser? Is there also an upper lip tie?

There is a facebook group called tongue tie babies support group. Ask to join and you will find lots of knowledge and experience on there.

Thanks for the suggestion, the TT wasn't laser cut but the Dr said it was a shallow tie and even if he released it then it might not completely solve the feeding issues.

Pain awful on Friday, bad Saturday, gone Sunday, back with stabbing needle like pain again today. Baby doesn't have a white tongue so I'm thinking not thrush? I have been to boob group countless times but feel now we aren't ever going to really 'enjoy' feeding and when DD2 starts nursery in the New Year I'm very seriously considering moving to formula and bottles.

mawbroon Mon 16-Sep-13 17:14:29

Was it an anterior tie? It is common to have an anterior tie with a posterior behind it. Often the anterior is cut but the posterior is not because of lack of knowledge.

Have you tried cranial osteopathy? Ties can cause tensions in the jaw/head/neck which can cause feeding problems.

Many mothers of tied babies are diagnosed with "thrush" which is actually not thrush but the pain can be similar from the compression caused by the hard palate when latched incorrectly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now