16 week old - sore nipple and baby squirming on one side only?

(7 Posts)
delurked Wed 11-Sep-13 16:08:03

My 16 week old has fed well pretty much since birth and after a week or so of using lanisoh cream whilst my nipples got used to things, bfing has been pain free. However in the last week she has been behaving strangely when feeding from my right breast. She will suddenly do a massive squirming movement whilst feeding, pulling her head (and my nipple!) down and away. She doesn't do this during every feed but when she does do it it's often several times in a row. She stays latched on and carries on feeding afterwards.
I've also noticed that her latch on that side has got a bit lazy and my nipple is getting sore and sometimes look lipstick shaped after a feed. I don't think it can be tongue tie though at this late stage can it? She can stick her tongue out a long way.
Other information that may be relevant: she is a bit refluxy although this is getting better. I can't see any signs of thrush.
Any advice/ suggestions very welcome.

Sunflower1985 Wed 11-Sep-13 21:57:51

I'm very far from an expert, but could it be wind? It's a vicious circle - they're uncomfortable so they squirm so they take in more air. If you sit her up after the feed does she burp?

I ask as my ds is behaving like this right now and settles after expelling the wind. I think it's a poor latch at the heart of it.

Sunflower1985 Wed 11-Sep-13 21:59:45

Oh, and if you're anything like me, each noob is different so needs a whole different approach for feeding. Hellish.

Sunflower1985 Wed 11-Sep-13 22:00:04

*boob

poppingin1 Wed 11-Sep-13 22:40:10

Could it be possible she is straining to draw the milk out of that breast for some reason?

My DD favours one breast over another and I think it is because there is more milk in the one she favours. With the other one, she squeezes and pulls on it to get the milk out toward the middle and end of a feed.

delurked Thu 12-Sep-13 10:42:51

Thanks both. Sunflower I think you may be right about the wind, she does struggle a bit with it. Problem is that she goes crazy if I try to burp her mid feed so I may just have to put up with it!

LAF77 Thu 12-Sep-13 12:14:11

It sounds like it could be TT. FWIW, my DS did this around the same age. I stopped feeding him on my right as he struggled to latch there. I blamed it on my flat nipple. Turns out he had a posterior tongue tie and upper lip tie which made it hard to latch on that side. We just feed on the left now. Do you have any bf support groups you can get to?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now