Is it just me? Weaning from breast advice.

(11 Posts)
TheUnstoppableWindmill Sun 08-Sep-13 10:54:13

I've just been looking at a copy of 'What to Expect- the Toddler Years' which was given to me. I've mostly been ignoring it as my 15mo doesn't walk yet (bottom-shuffler) so much of it is depressing/useless. Anyway, I've just been a bit gobsmacked by the section on 'When to wean from Breastfeeding' (in the 13 month section, p30-31 in my copy). It says 'you don't necessarily have to wean... at a year' then lists the following points 'to consider' (paraphrased):

-It's easier to wean at a year than later

-Breast feeding now has no nutritional benefits and some studies suggest children weaned at this point do better

-It can damage teeth

-It can interfere with their appetite for (implicitly more important) solid food

-(my favourite) mothers who like breastfeeding sometimes don't realise that they're not spending enough time interacting with their child in other ways

-Feeding lying down can increase risk of ear infections

-(only positive) it may reduce risk of allergies

-it may cause the mother or toddler to become over dependent on each other (!)

-It can stop your toddler from developing important self-comforting skills

-It can be detrimental to your 'spousal relationship'

This is propaganda, isn't it? Even if some of it is true surely it's hugely one-sided? I have no plans to stop breastfeeding my 15mo at the moment- reassure me that that's fine!

ExBrightonBell Sun 08-Sep-13 11:51:11

Does it list any references for these points? I would assume unlikely! It does seem to be heavily skewed towards stopping bf at a year. How old is the book - is it before the WHO recommendations to feed to 2 years?

TheUnstoppableWindmill Sun 08-Sep-13 14:03:47

No references. This is from 2008 but I've just checked Amazon and a newer edition was published in 2009 so I hope that bit is very updated. I guess as it's an older edition I shouldn't worry. I just know how popular the series is and felt a bit shocked!

stargirl1701 Sun 08-Sep-13 14:09:35

It's in the kellymom list of books to avoid.

rubyslippers Sun 08-Sep-13 14:12:05

Oh yes - the famous 'it turns into water' fact that it trotted out by ill informed people

There are loads of books about Breastfeeding beyond a year which aren't full of such shite

TheUnstoppableWindmill Sun 08-Sep-13 14:30:26

I love the Kellymom website. I shall not give it to the charity shop then (which is why I had it out in the first place) but shall chuck it in the recycling for pulping instead!

I've got that book but I've never consulted it not once! I'm sitting here bf dd2 grin

SunnyIntervals Sun 08-Sep-13 20:21:22

What drivel! Yes - ignore! Makes you wonder what the rest of the book is based on grin

GEM33 Tue 10-Sep-13 17:14:32

Jeez! I ve got that book and managed to miss that bit?! I ll be going to check mine once my 22 month old has stopped feeding lying down on her late nap ( never had an ear infection and. Lie down all the time). How can they say those things!!!! All my friends kids catch everything going round and mine is rarely ill. I put it down to still breast feeding and they don't. Yes mine is about clingy though but then again I never have anyone else babysit.
Boo that book

GEM33 Tue 10-Sep-13 17:14:34

Jeez! I ve got that book and managed to miss that bit?! I ll be going to check mine once my 22 month old has stopped feeding lying down on her late nap ( never had an ear infection and. Lie down all the time). How can they say those things!!!! All my friends kids catch everything going round and mine is rarely ill. I put it down to still breast feeding and they don't. Yes mine is about clingy though but then again I never have anyone else babysit.
Boo that book

mrsmartin1984 Tue 10-Sep-13 17:35:24

Morons. The NHS advice is two years and beyond. Yes after they are weaned it's not there main/sole sauce of nutrition but that still doesn't make it unimportant. Planning for feeding on as long as it's comfortable and the rest of the world can take a running jump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now