Is it just me? Weaning from breast advice.

(11 Posts)
TheUnstoppableWindmill Sun 08-Sep-13 10:54:13

I've just been looking at a copy of 'What to Expect- the Toddler Years' which was given to me. I've mostly been ignoring it as my 15mo doesn't walk yet (bottom-shuffler) so much of it is depressing/useless. Anyway, I've just been a bit gobsmacked by the section on 'When to wean from Breastfeeding' (in the 13 month section, p30-31 in my copy). It says 'you don't necessarily have to wean... at a year' then lists the following points 'to consider' (paraphrased):

-It's easier to wean at a year than later

-Breast feeding now has no nutritional benefits and some studies suggest children weaned at this point do better

-It can damage teeth

-It can interfere with their appetite for (implicitly more important) solid food

-(my favourite) mothers who like breastfeeding sometimes don't realise that they're not spending enough time interacting with their child in other ways

-Feeding lying down can increase risk of ear infections

-(only positive) it may reduce risk of allergies

-it may cause the mother or toddler to become over dependent on each other (!)

-It can stop your toddler from developing important self-comforting skills

-It can be detrimental to your 'spousal relationship'

This is propaganda, isn't it? Even if some of it is true surely it's hugely one-sided? I have no plans to stop breastfeeding my 15mo at the moment- reassure me that that's fine!

ExBrightonBell Sun 08-Sep-13 11:51:11

Does it list any references for these points? I would assume unlikely! It does seem to be heavily skewed towards stopping bf at a year. How old is the book - is it before the WHO recommendations to feed to 2 years?

TheUnstoppableWindmill Sun 08-Sep-13 14:03:47

No references. This is from 2008 but I've just checked Amazon and a newer edition was published in 2009 so I hope that bit is very updated. I guess as it's an older edition I shouldn't worry. I just know how popular the series is and felt a bit shocked!

stargirl1701 Sun 08-Sep-13 14:09:35

It's in the kellymom list of books to avoid.

rubyslippers Sun 08-Sep-13 14:12:05

Oh yes - the famous 'it turns into water' fact that it trotted out by ill informed people

There are loads of books about Breastfeeding beyond a year which aren't full of such shite

TheUnstoppableWindmill Sun 08-Sep-13 14:30:26

I love the Kellymom website. I shall not give it to the charity shop then (which is why I had it out in the first place) but shall chuck it in the recycling for pulping instead!

Hamwidgeandcheps Sun 08-Sep-13 20:08:43

I've got that book but I've never consulted it not once! I'm sitting here bf dd2 grin

SunnyIntervals Sun 08-Sep-13 20:21:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GEM33 Tue 10-Sep-13 17:14:32

Jeez! I ve got that book and managed to miss that bit?! I ll be going to check mine once my 22 month old has stopped feeding lying down on her late nap ( never had an ear infection and. Lie down all the time). How can they say those things!!!! All my friends kids catch everything going round and mine is rarely ill. I put it down to still breast feeding and they don't. Yes mine is about clingy though but then again I never have anyone else babysit.
Boo that book

GEM33 Tue 10-Sep-13 17:14:34

Jeez! I ve got that book and managed to miss that bit?! I ll be going to check mine once my 22 month old has stopped feeding lying down on her late nap ( never had an ear infection and. Lie down all the time). How can they say those things!!!! All my friends kids catch everything going round and mine is rarely ill. I put it down to still breast feeding and they don't. Yes mine is about clingy though but then again I never have anyone else babysit.
Boo that book

mrsmartin1984 Tue 10-Sep-13 17:35:24

Morons. The NHS advice is two years and beyond. Yes after they are weaned it's not there main/sole sauce of nutrition but that still doesn't make it unimportant. Planning for feeding on as long as it's comfortable and the rest of the world can take a running jump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now