BF friendly cold remedies?

(6 Posts)
TeaOperated Sun 08-Sep-13 08:51:24

I've picked up my 5 month old's sniffle. Treating her with cuddles, saline drips up the nose and paracetamol when she's really miserable.

Is there anything more I can give myself that's breastfeeding friendly, apart from hot ribena and a hot toddy at bedtime? All decongestants are banned, aren't they? A few drips of olbas oil on my pillow are presumably ok?

morebooksplease Sun 08-Sep-13 09:41:32

I think it's much the same as what the baby can have - saline drops and paracetamol. You could leave a bottle of olbas oil open near your bed at night perhaps? Doctor told me strepsils are fine if you have a sore throat too. Hope you feel better soon.

TeaOperated Sun 08-Sep-13 11:37:35

Thank you! It really is just a sniffle - far worse for the wee one, who doesn't understand what it is!

noblegiraffe Sun 08-Sep-13 11:39:58

You might find this useful

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/dibm/Cough-and-Cold-Remedies-October-2011.pdf

Incidentally, it doesn't have to be saline drops up the nose, a squirt of breastmilk works just as well!

TeaOperated Sun 08-Sep-13 12:55:20

Incredibly, thanks Giraffe!

(Yes, I know about BM - unfortunately my aim is lousy. Keep getting it on the bridge of her nose!)

Twattybollocks Mon 09-Sep-13 09:25:55

I use the decongestant nasal spray when I have a cold. It is topical and doesn't get into the blood stream and therefore doesn't get into milk. It's fab, better than the tablets I find. Paracetamol and ibuprofen are also fine for the general shitty feeling, although I'd use paracetamol for preference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now