post growth spurt too much breast milk?

(5 Posts)
thegoldenfool Sat 07-Sep-13 08:34:08

baby now 4 weeks old and i have massive leaky breasts which never seem to get emptied and make DC choke

i have just read about a 3 week (or so) growth spurt and I suppose that once it is over your body takes a few days to reduce the milk supply to normal levels?

chickenschicken Sat 07-Sep-13 09:21:46

I'm at 12 weeks now and my boobs really calmed down at about 8 weeks. Still get the odd leaky night when she sleeps longer.
Sounds like a fast let down, someone more experienced will be along with advice about that.
Kellymom website is a must when bf.

Runswithsquirrels Sat 07-Sep-13 09:27:53

Agree, it sounds like fast let down. Have you tried leaning back a little so baby's head is higher than the nipple?

thegoldenfool Sat 07-Sep-13 10:30:25

good idea, i´ll try that thanks very much

Bunnychan Sun 08-Sep-13 21:49:59

I have fast/forceful let down. My LO used to choke/splutter during each feed. I used to lean back and I can feel my let down so I take LO off, catch the spray in a muslin and put her back on. I used to wind during the feed or else she'd just throw the whole lot back up. Now she's older, I just wind her after. It should improve around 6-8 weeks but I found that health professionals were not bothered about it as she was gaining weight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now