Breastfeeding beyond a year - who has done it?

(71 Posts)
octanegirl Wed 04-Sep-13 21:22:28

I initially thought I'd only do the 1st 6 months. I then decided to go till he's a year old and am now thinking of going even longer than that. Unless he decides he doesn't want it any more. He is eating 2/3 meals per day now but still gets 4 BFs, almost 8 months old.

What about you guys? People seem very surprised that I'm still BFing him now, I imagine I'm going to get odd attitudes the longer I go on. Even other parents say "Still"when I tell them he still BFs.

Are teeth an issue? Not got any yet!

MacNCheese Thu 19-Sep-13 15:14:43

Your happy, he's happy. Can't see any problem here. Congratulations on getting so far.
WHO recommends to BF till two so just quote that if people say anything. then tell them its non of their business

Badgerwife Thu 19-Sep-13 15:10:51

I'm tandem feeding my 26m and 12w DDs; I was always going to breastfeed for a year if I could, when milk is still the main source of nutrition. Then with DD1 she showed no sign of wanting to stop and I had no reason to want to stop either so we carried on; her main feed is the first of the day, then maybe once or twice more if she's tired/cranky, and she's not interested in the evenings anymore (yay!). The WHO recommends going for 2 years so I was happy with that, and now we will just see how it goes this year. I'm going to go the self-weaning route I think.

I was planning on feeding for 6 months, had vaguely wondered what you were supposed to do next, and then found MN. DS is three and a half and we're still going! grin

domesticungoddess Wed 18-Sep-13 02:42:41

BF my DD until 4 days ago when I gave birth to DS. She has just turned 3. I contemplated tandem feeding but he is difficult to settle so she is just having little bits every day which I think will tail off.

Never planned to carry on passed a year but glad I did. Its been a lovely way to be close to her and comfort her if she's sad.

Pitmountainpony Fri 13-Sep-13 14:14:58

I am in the us.....I do not know a single mum around me who has done less than a year....must be the crowd I hang out with......I have never seen a baby being bottle fed in the twenty or so mums I know yet. Lots go beyond 2 years too but everyone covers up in public.....people are horrified if they catch a flash of your boob here.

mrsyattering Wed 11-Sep-13 09:07:54

I bf both mine till 15/16 and 16/17 months, they both gave up on their own in the end. Do what you feel happy with.

mamapants Wed 11-Sep-13 08:59:40

DS is 14mths and still bf full time. Has 3 feeds a day 3 days a week when I'm at work and 5 or more feeds the other 4 days. The only time I get fed up is the morning when he wants to feed for ages and fidgets the whole time.
Can't see him stopping just yet but hopefully will cut out a few feeds as I'm 9 weeks pregnant and would like him to feed a bit less and eat a bit more food instead!

Pascha Tue 10-Sep-13 20:44:02

Hello Octane. DS1 is 3 tomorrow and still has one feed a day, I'm hoping to wind it up by Christmas which will make 3.3 years altogether. DS2 is 8 months and has 6 teeth. I can't feel any of them smile. I plan to let him feed til he grows out of it himself.

happypotamus Tue 10-Sep-13 20:38:15

DD is 2.4 and still breastfed, but generally only at bedtime and not every bedtime as I am work 1-3 times a week. I've no idea how I would go about persuading her to stop if I wanted that.
I certainly didn't plan this. I planned to try breastfeeding and see how it went. The first 3 months were horrible. Just about everyday I cried and said I can't do this anymore but the next day I carried on through the pain. Breastfeeding is one of the hardest things I've ever persevered with. THen I assumed it would have to stop when I went back to work at 8 months, as my job means I am out of the house for about 15hrs a day sometimes on consecutive days. I assumed no feeding for 2 days would dry up the supply, as I couldn't express. It didn't and so we continue.
People don't generally ask about it as I am sure they assume we stopped ages ago. Occasionally, at work, the subject comes up due to the constantly high number of pregnant colleagues, and someone will ask me how long I breastfed for. They would be horrified by the answer if it comes up again. My colleagues are healthcare professionals, and recently we encountered a 3yr old who was breastfed for comfort. The general reaction was disgust and 'why would anyone do that?' I was very busy at the time and couldn't be bothered to discuss it with them.

cherrytomato40 Tue 10-Sep-13 20:22:30

I'm still BFing 3yo DD2 morning and bedtime- like many others I never planned to feed her for so long (and I only BFed DD1 for 5 months) but she just never stopped!

I've got past the point of caring what people think- I imagine most people don't realise I am still feeding her, as the subject never really comes up, but I don't hide it if anyone does ask. It suits us and I'm sure she'll stop when she's ready.

Still feeding my 20 mo. Just spent 9 days away from him whilst he stayed with Granny and we've picked the bf back up no bother. I love feeding him still, especially knowing I can take time away from it (and him) when I need it. It's just a lovely bonding experience and a good immune booster - especially as we go into winter and start all the toddler groups again!

However - I never rarely feed in public now. Even when at family's I tend to take him into a different room. They all know I'm feeding him, but it's a private thing between me and him and I see no reason to make people uncomfortable unnecessarily. The only time I break this 'rule' is if he's in pain or ill and really needs comfort, then I'll do it wherever.

I'm also very lucky in that I live in an area surrounded by natural term bf mums, so many of the mums I associate with see no issues with bf a 3 year old, never mind my 'titchy baby' of a 20 month old!

DeathMetalMum Tue 10-Sep-13 20:09:11

Never had comments, my mum always reminded me she fed her last dc until 20 months which was supportive.

DeathMetalMum Tue 10-Sep-13 20:07:08

Dd1 weaned at 22 months though I slowly weaned daytime feeds around 13 months as if we didn't go out anywhere she would be on my lap. Dd2 is 6m and was ebf until a few days ago. The only thing I hope to do differently is for dd2 to have a beaker of cows milk from a year as dd1 doesn't drink milk at all.

SuiGeneris Mon 09-Sep-13 23:04:54

DS1 stopped at 23 months as I was 5 months' pregnant with DS2. DS2 is 17 months and still going strong. Good luck!

scrivette Mon 09-Sep-13 22:59:42

I am feeding DS at 26 months. I now only feed in the mornings and the last couple of weeks I have cut down a bit so no longer feeding everyday. He seems just as happy with a cup of cows milk on the days I don't feed him myself.

The nurse at my doctors was very surprised I was 'still' feeding him myself, I was more surprised that she was surprised smile

MostlyLovingLurchers Mon 09-Sep-13 21:31:00

I'm still bfing my nearly 3 yr old, and while I don't get any negative comments as such I have had a lot of assumptions from family about when i'd stop - when he started to get teeth, when he started to talk, etc. My dm tentatively asked me recently whether we'd stop before school - I was noncommittal!

Like others have said, it tends to be morning and bedtime feeds now, so it is rare that I feed in public (when ebf we fed anywhere and everywhere), though I do it when required. Teeth have never been much of a problem, other than a bit of discomfort for a few days when a new tooth came through.

I've kept going for various reasons. Ds has a cow milk allergy so that was a factor. We also both still enjoy the closeness, and it comforts him when he's ill (which is rarely). It also helped him have a sleep after lunch, though that has finished now, and it is way and above the easiest way to get him to go to sleep at night, though he will go to sleep without it. My dm also has breast cancer, and I hope that bfing for as long as possible may also help protect me from that, even a little.

I planned to do 6months still feeding to sleep and early mornings at 2y 4m. I'm starting to get fed up with it but can't put my finger on why.

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Mon 09-Sep-13 20:51:53

I fed DS to 23 months. From 12 months he was down to 2 feeds a day (morning and evening), a couple of months later it dropped to bedtime only, his choice. I had a cut-off age of 2 in my mind, and when I went to never offer, never refuse he dropped the last feed very quickly in favour of a cup of warm cow's milk so he must have been ready too.

I'd only really aimed to get to 6 months. Now feeding DD, and I guess we'll see how it goes.

No-one would have known I was still feeding DS past 1 though as it was always upstairs. Not intentional, just the way it happened.

And I got bitten more during early teething than I did once he had teeth.

Jojay Mon 09-Sep-13 20:43:38

Me - I fed by twins until around two - DTD stopped at about 22 mths, DTS at 26 months.

I only fed morning and night from about 1 year old, so feeding in public wasn't an issue, and hardly anyone knew I was still feeding towards the end.

happydaze77 Mon 09-Sep-13 20:37:42

Nicknamefail I was having the same problem with dd (10mths) a few weeks ago. I used loads of Lansinoh, breastfed dd with a thin plaster over the sore patch, and wore a nipple shield while not feeding her so that my bra didn't rub where I was sore. It gave the soreness a chance to heal instead of being constantly grazed, iyswim? hth

mykingdomforasleep Mon 09-Sep-13 12:40:12

Fed DS until 26 months - had a massive biting issue for a few days at c.16 months when lots of teeth came through - but otherwise all good!

Currently bf DD 4 months and I expect I'll feed for at least a year.

MadMonkeys Sun 08-Sep-13 09:11:11

I had massive problems with bf to start with, was still very painful at 4 months but it suddenly got easier and now dd2 is 12 months so we've done loads better than I could have hoped. She turns out to be cows milk protein intolerant so I'm so pleased I stuck with it and I don't have any intention to stop any time soon.

Booboostoo Sat 07-Sep-13 12:03:06

I didn't have any plans when I started, just one day at a time. DD is still bf now at 2.4yo, however at 2yo I stopped the 'don't offer, don't refuse' because she was asking every two hours, even through the night, despite eating loads of solids. She is now on 3 feeds, morning, before afternoon nap, and before bed time and it's more manageable. I can finally wear whatever I want and no one knows I am bf as it is all done at home.

I did have a problem with teeth when she got her first ones, but as soon as she bit I would say 'ouchie that hurt', take her off the breast and put her down for a little while. She quickly cottoned on that bitting means no bf.

Nicknamefail Sat 07-Sep-13 10:42:58

I am jealous of those with no teeth problems! I would love to carry on but dd's teeth graze my nipples with every suck and I don't know how much longer I can do. (11 months now.). As above, most don't have a problem. Enjoy feeding as long as you want OP.

jessieagain Fri 06-Sep-13 22:31:27

I'm still bf my ds (26months) but when he turned 2 we cut down to one feed a day. We have had a few days where he didnt even ask for that feed so I'm hoping he will decide to stop completely soon.

I don't think anyone evens suspects he is still breastfed. Apart from my dp of course and the pharmacist (who didnt even blink).

I stopped feeding him in public (or around family/friends ar home) at around 8 months or so and I think people just assumed I stopped altogether.

Teeth have never been an issue, they don't seem to get in the way at all iykwim.

I am happy with how it has turned out. Although I never really enjoyed breastfeeding for myself, I think it really benefitted my ds health wise and also it has made him bond really well too. So I don't think it was too much of a sacrifice for me to make for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now