Shocked at breastfeeding policy for a craft centre / attraction

(155 Posts)
Ducky5867 Sun 01-Sep-13 19:16:36

Looking at visiting a craft centre near me - went onto their website and viewed their visitor information and noted the following statement

"We welcome discrete breastfeeding on our site, but would appreciate care being taken not to cause embrassement to our other customers."

Very shocked at this ..... They feel their customers would be embrassed by a baby having their lunch - how kind of them to even allow it - we should all be so greatful!!

My dd2 is nearly 1 yr so won't need to breastfeed during daytime but this has wound me up so much that I will never go there now ..... Shoud I go further and send them an email of complaint or am I being over sensitive?

KingRollo Sun 01-Sep-13 21:37:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hettienne Sun 01-Sep-13 21:38:39

I feel really uncomfortable seeing a bottle whopped out and shoved in a baby's mouth. I don't mind people doing whatever they want in private, each to their own, but doing it in public is surely just attention seeking? Why don't they cover the baby and bottle with a blanket, or do it in the loos? My DH saw a woman with a massive bottle the other day and was so embarrassed. I think they should just be more respectful of other people's feelings - it's like a crusade with some of them. Why can't bottle feeders be more discreet?

Oh yes, because that would be ridiculous grin

Lorelei353 Sun 01-Sep-13 21:39:19

If I read agnu post correctly her friend wasn't actually feeding - she was preparing to feed,in other words sitting there chatting with one boob just hanging out while baby grumbled waiting to latch on.

Mine do lop a bit anyway. They're pretty big, and I'm fairly new to this. I also have a strong let-down, so DS gets a bit overwhelmed and can come off a few times, which can not only,lead to lopping, but unfortunate spraying too. blush Thats the main reason I cover up with a feeding sling - to protect the furniture, my clothes and anyone sitting nearby!

lurkingaround Sun 01-Sep-13 21:40:22

Ffs Bamboo, y'see, we do 'get on with it' as you say. I can't understand your ire about bfing in public. I would like to feed my baby as freely as you do, that's all. No biggie. Just equality.

nickelbabe Sun 01-Sep-13 21:41:06

I just tried to email a complaint but my tablet froze and I lost it.
and i'd explained discrete to them sad
so I've put it on my facebook and will try to email tomorrow.

Stripedmum Sun 01-Sep-13 21:43:42

I don't think one person on MN would accuse you of poisoning your baby Bamboo. More important issues like?

ivykaty44 Sun 01-Sep-13 21:46:40

There is one person on MN that would accuse you of poisoning your baby with bottle milk - that bamboo, they would

K8Middleton Sun 01-Sep-13 21:46:43

Jeez.

I don't lop either. But neither am I "discreet" which is just code for coy or embarrassed really. I just get on with it and I dare anybody to say anything about it at all.

That said, I do think people should cover up if they are offended by breast feeding. I suggest a paper bag over the head.

Stripedmum Sun 01-Sep-13 21:48:35

Really? They actually would use the word 'poison'? Don't believe you.

delasi Sun 01-Sep-13 21:48:35

I'm not comfortable seeing a baby being bottle-fed. Perhaps you could have a rule for that too.

3hens I realise that the original post you were responding to was negative about breastfeeding in public, and I guess that this is probably just a reaction to make a point, but it seems a bit of a drastic one. How can anyone be "not comfortable seeing a baby being bottle-fed"? Likewise being breastfed. It is feeding a baby, either way, and parents should be free to follow either route without judgement.

I realise that this is now slightly off-topic and I entirely agree with the majority that the centre's request is absurd and poorly written to boot.

Stripedmum Sun 01-Sep-13 21:51:02

I think 3hens was actually making the same point delasi.

greenbananas Sun 01-Sep-13 21:51:15

The only place I have ever seen women "lop" a whole boob out to breastfeed is at the local breastfeeding support group, where nobody cares. Most other places, we tend to only show what's necessary.

I bet that is gone from their website by tomorrow grin

Faithless12 Sun 01-Sep-13 21:53:05

Bamboobambino- more important issues like, enabling mothers with little babies to feel able to leave the house as they know that they can happily feed their child where ever they are? Isn't PND more likely to occur if mothers keep themselves inside because they are BF and worried someone will make a nasty comment.

Why is it ok to ask a woman who is BF to be discreet but it's ok for men to walk around topless and so long as a baby isn't attached to them it's ok for women to walk around with everything one show. If you think that is all peachy I suggest you are the one that needs to get a grip.

violetwellies Sun 01-Sep-13 21:53:19

delasi I think she was joking, trying to make a point, but if I'd said it, twould not have been a joke.

mermaidbutmytailfelloff Sun 01-Sep-13 22:03:02

I had my ds's christening party there over 20 years ago and bf almost constantly......all I can say is they must have gone backwards!

delasi Sun 01-Sep-13 22:03:19

violet hmm "If" you'd said it? Not entirely sure I understand.

Anyway, as I said in my original post I understood that it was probably just to make a point - my own point was that it would be better to simply focus on the key issue, fair treatment for feeding, rather than devolve to reactionary statements such as, "Well I think bottle feeding is abhorrent, how about we ban that?".

nickelbabe Sun 01-Sep-13 22:03:24

anyway, dd is 20 months and does still bf during the day- mainly to nap, but most definitely when she wants it.
she also makes it patently obvious because she pounds on my boobs till I submit (my own fault, as I used to pat my boovs to work out which side she'd be on)
grin

BonaDea Sun 01-Sep-13 22:08:25

Delasi. I think you are entirely missing the point of the post you are referring to. She was pointing out how ridiculous it would be if someone said something like that about bottle feeding... And therefore the hypocritical nature of the bf'ing statement.

Is like to know whatever happened a hundred years ago before formula? Presumably women fed babies everywhere all the time? Although I guess craft centres might not have been all the rage!

Wow. I was NOT expecting this to be the Jinny Ring.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sun 01-Sep-13 22:14:47

Emailed. Cut and pasted their offensive bit and also a link to this thread, with a suggestion that they read up on sex discrimination.

I hope I get a reply tomorrow.

Stripedmum Sun 01-Sep-13 22:16:26

Oh God! It'll be the talk of the craft centre! I bet they call an emergency summit.

CeliaLytton Sun 01-Sep-13 22:17:25

Can anyone link to their fb page?

theyoniwayisnorthwards Sun 01-Sep-13 22:20:44

Emailed politely asking them to change their policy. Hope it's just a piece of incompetent writing.

------------> the point

>delasi's head

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now