Shocked at breastfeeding policy for a craft centre / attraction

(155 Posts)
Ducky5867 Sun 01-Sep-13 19:16:36

Looking at visiting a craft centre near me - went onto their website and viewed their visitor information and noted the following statement

"We welcome discrete breastfeeding on our site, but would appreciate care being taken not to cause embrassement to our other customers."

Very shocked at this ..... They feel their customers would be embrassed by a baby having their lunch - how kind of them to even allow it - we should all be so greatful!!

My dd2 is nearly 1 yr so won't need to breastfeed during daytime but this has wound me up so much that I will never go there now ..... Shoud I go further and send them an email of complaint or am I being over sensitive?

lollypopsicle Sun 01-Sep-13 20:48:53

I have been to this place many times (and probably breastfed ignorant to their 'policy') and am quite frankly appalled at their stipulations. thinking to point the local rag in the direction of this thread.

WireCat Sun 01-Sep-13 20:49:03

trifle
Women don't lop ther boobs out to feed. biscuit biscuit

Faithless12 Sun 01-Sep-13 20:50:56

Rooners - I love your post grin

My breasts don't lop and tbh Trifle it was views like yours that made to nervous to BF DS when he was a newborn so much so I spent most of the first month inside.

Rooners Sun 01-Sep-13 20:52:25

Oh thankyou smile

Deathbyladybirds Sun 01-Sep-13 20:52:47

Bloody hell.

DrSeuss Sun 01-Sep-13 20:53:54

Posted on FB and emailed for clarification.

AGnu Sun 01-Sep-13 20:56:39

I did Rooners! grin

My friend was lopping her boobs about the other day while preparing to feed. We weren't exactly in public but anyone could've walked in & my DH & several other men were in the room at the time. Thankfully my DH had his back to us for the 2-3 minutes she was sitting there, breast dangling, baby looking disgruntled, while she continued waving her free arm around telling me a story! DH isn't phased by anyone breastfeeding but semi-toplessness would've made him uncomfortable. Apparently some women do indeed 'lop'! hmm

As for breasts not being 'the main show'... I bet the baby would disagree! grin

Junebugjr Sun 01-Sep-13 20:58:09

Discrete?? Wankers, why do some people assume the bf'ers are just gagging to flaunt their tits at any given opportunity. It's not akin to bloody flashing.

KingRollo Sun 01-Sep-13 21:01:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ExBrightonBell Sun 01-Sep-13 21:01:21

I was going to write a detailed reply to Trifle, but realised I cannot be arsed! I am so fed up of this kind of stupid backward attitude to breastfeeding in public. I realise that if Trifle has got to 2013 with such an attitude to bf, nothing I can post will make any difference to her ignorance.

AGnu Sun 01-Sep-13 21:01:25

FWIW, DH would be far too polite to complain & would be the first to admit that his discomfort is his issue & other people can do what they want! I wasn't suggesting my friend did anything wrong. It did take all my self control not to giggle though! blush

vaticancameo Sun 01-Sep-13 21:08:35

FGS. Would giving a baby a giant fake boob (ie a bottle) embarrass other customers? Or giving a baby a breadstick?

I am so sick of some people's obsession with trying to sexualise breastfeeding.

JollyHappyGiant Sun 01-Sep-13 21:08:46

Haha, Rooners grin

I DO lop my boobs out. They're much bigger than newborn DD's head so I'm afraid there being a bit of flesh on show is almost unavoidable. It's not like I'm a newbie either - have been BFing at least daily since April 2011. But I'm not going to stress about it and they're my boobs.

Good luck with altering this policy. Thankfully I'm in Scotland so have more protection here.

KingRollo Sun 01-Sep-13 21:22:34

Stripedmum Sun 01-Sep-13 21:22:45

Agnu - am I just totally thick or are you joking?

DoItTooJulia Sun 01-Sep-13 21:26:27

Yeah, I don't get AGnus post either.

Bamboobambino Sun 01-Sep-13 21:27:03

I agree with trifle. Their request is perfectly reasonable. Get over yourselves.
FFS some people have made BF in public such a huge crusade that it makes me wonder why they don't have any more important issues in their life to worry about. If they don't, then they're lucky people in my opinion.

Stripedmum Sun 01-Sep-13 21:28:49

Bamboo - are you joking too?

Patronising, illiterate fuckers. I've e-mailed them.

lagoonhaze Sun 01-Sep-13 21:31:58

Given her views on other threads I don't think bamboo is.

Stripedmum Sun 01-Sep-13 21:32:01

If you're not then I'm genuinely appalled. What about first time mums who aren't skilled in being "discreet" like I was when I BFed for the first few months with DS? What about people being kind and supportive of someone trying to do the best by their baby?

lurkingaround Sun 01-Sep-13 21:32:18

Fine so Bamboo. Next time you bottle feed your baby I hope you'll be as suitably 'discrete' as you expect me to be. I'm not so keen on looking at baby bottles. Embarrasses me.....hmm

Bamboobambino Sun 01-Sep-13 21:35:11

No, I'm definitely serious. The only people offended by me bottle feeding (sorry poisoning!) my kids in public is you lot.
FFS get a grip and worry about more important issues than this in the great scheme of things.

KingRollo Sun 01-Sep-13 21:35:43

hermioneweasley Sun 01-Sep-13 21:36:28

I have yet to witness one of these mythical BFeeders who on settling to feed her child screams to all around "oi! Now! I'm going to get my tits out. Look at meeeee!" and then flops her naked boobs around unnecessarily before actually feeding the baby. I shall look out for them. So I can look away while tutting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now