Shocked at breastfeeding policy for a craft centre / attraction

(155 Posts)
Ducky5867 Sun 01-Sep-13 19:16:36

Looking at visiting a craft centre near me - went onto their website and viewed their visitor information and noted the following statement

"We welcome discrete breastfeeding on our site, but would appreciate care being taken not to cause embrassement to our other customers."

Very shocked at this ..... They feel their customers would be embrassed by a baby having their lunch - how kind of them to even allow it - we should all be so greatful!!

My dd2 is nearly 1 yr so won't need to breastfeed during daytime but this has wound me up so much that I will never go there now ..... Shoud I go further and send them an email of complaint or am I being over sensitive?

Surely they mean discreet?

lagoonhaze Sun 01-Sep-13 19:47:03

They should ask bottle feeders the same ?

ivykaty44 Sun 01-Sep-13 19:48:00

so do we ask them how descret works when bread feeding? wink

Ducky5867 Sun 01-Sep-13 19:51:50

Excellent -thanks everyone - not just me being sensitive them. My Dh thought it was very wrong too. going to write my email of complaint now.

Sorry not on Facebook or twitter - that's a whole other language to me - so just email from me and never giving them a penny is as much as I can do but feel free to start a Facebook campaign etc !!!!

LoganMummy Sun 01-Sep-13 19:54:00

I'm up for mass emailing! This pisses me off so much!

lagoonhaze Sun 01-Sep-13 19:54:49

Ive messaged lactivist on fb

ivykaty44 Sun 01-Sep-13 20:02:13

can we have a template email to write then please - or some ideas.

Or do we all email pointing out that they can't spell discreet? And that they are making demands of woman that could well be seen as harassment

lagoonhaze Sun 01-Sep-13 20:13:28

I would recommend personal message as opposed to a template. Shows we are individuals who have own views etc.

You can always write comment on facebook page wink

Trifle Sun 01-Sep-13 20:22:49

I can't see anything wrong with their request. They are merely asking people to respect others and why not. Not everyone is comfortable with seeing boobs lopped out. It's no different to asking men to ensure that tops are worn.

mrsmartin1984 Sun 01-Sep-13 20:24:17

They are breaking the law. Tell me where it is and I'll go and breast feed in the most indiscreet way (both bangers out and announcing it on a megaphone)

3hens Sun 01-Sep-13 20:24:55

Appalling. Unbelievable. Wow.

3hens Sun 01-Sep-13 20:26:13

Trifle I'm not comfortable seeing a baby being bottle-fed. Perhaps you could have a rule for that too.

VashtaNerada Sun 01-Sep-13 20:27:44

Obviously ridiculous but they be unaware just how unacceptable that view is nowadays. I suspect they're ignorant rather than deliberately unpleasant, and hopefully will change after complaints.

Rooners Sun 01-Sep-13 20:28:37

'It's no different to asking men to ensure that tops are worn.'

No of course not. My infant gains sustenance though from watching his father naked, so it can be awkward but tbh we find somewhere quiet and DH walks around starkers for a few minutes so bubs doesn't scream.

Then he puts his shirt back on and we carry on as normal. A few people have suggested we give ds pictures of Cliff Richard naked to look at instead as we could do that in public but I want him to get the maximum benefit so DH is best.

ImFineThankYou Sun 01-Sep-13 20:32:18

Trifle your post makes you seem quite uneducated with regards to bf.

Stripedmum Sun 01-Sep-13 20:34:17

Oh dear God!

I emailed the knobs.

Stripedmum Sun 01-Sep-13 20:35:05

This has angered me. Breastfeeding is feeding your baby. Should bottle feeding be done discretely too?

DoItTooJulia Sun 01-Sep-13 20:36:10

How depressing. It does say discrete too.

I'm quite local to this and will never ever go!

KingRollo Sun 01-Sep-13 20:36:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Stripedmum Sun 01-Sep-13 20:37:35

shock at trifle!! Boobs lopped out!! Be honest - have you ever once seen a BFing mother's breasts 'lopped out'?!?! Even if I was not making much of an effort to cover up while BFing the baby covers the breast anyway.

EauRouge Sun 01-Sep-13 20:37:47

^The new Equality Act says that it is sex discrimination to treat a woman unfavourably because she is breastfeeding. It applies to anyone providing services, benefits, facilities and premises to the public, public bodies,
further and higher education bodies and association. Service providers include most organisations that deal directly with the
public. Service providers must not discriminate, harass or victimise a woman because she is breastfeeding.
Discrimination includes refusing to provide a service, providing a lower standard of service or providing a service on different terms.^

There you go, OP.

Rooners Sun 01-Sep-13 20:38:23

Yeah mine don't 'lop' either. They are fairly rigid.

Rooners Sun 01-Sep-13 20:39:10

No one laughed at my silly post sad

Rooners grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now