Please help! Baby rarely poos, struggles.

(33 Posts)

Hi, 8 week old DS rarely poos (between every 4-9 days), we're on day 6 this time round. The longer it gets, the more he starts being sick, straining, struggling and every single person (including HVs, Drs etc) has said he stinks and he really does.

His farts are so fowl that I need to hold my breath most of the time when he does it.

He was prescribed colief, which did help, he fed a lot less, seemed happier, slept normally and he pood and was okay for a couple of days afterwards, we ran out and he went back to his usual but I don't know if this was coincidence.

We have just been prescribed gaviscon for him as my GP thinks reflux may be a problem but I see this causes constipation? He isn't sick for a day or so when he has had a BM.

Can someone please help me get to the bottom of this?

Gaviscon is incredibly constipating - when DD was prescribed it the GP also added a bottle of lactulose 'in case' - he was right to do so!

I don't know what to suggest but because of the way lactulose works, it's really important to keep his fluid intake up.

Blatherskite Fri 23-Aug-13 10:21:42

If it were me, I'd go today. Monday is a bank holiday isn't it so your poor boy will be waiting until at least Tuesday otherwise. 3 days is a long time when you're tiny and uncomfortable.

I think I'm going to have to. HV is coming on Monday, I'll wait until then as she can get me an appointment quicker.

I am wondering if it was the lactulose that worked as it seemed very quick to work?

Blatherskite Fri 23-Aug-13 09:57:31

There may not be any more poo of he only went yesterday but the struggling and the stained nappies don't sound good. I'd go back to the doctors today if I were you

Still farting and struggling loads and nappies are still all stained but no more poo. confused

He's okay a lot of the time though, then he will have a couple of hours and some times here and there where he will get really upset and red faced, trying to pass wind. sad

Rummikub Thu 22-Aug-13 18:45:11

What a relief! For both of you!

We were given lactulose yesterday morning, he pood last night and there was tons of it. I don't know if it was the lactulose as I thought that would take longer to work?

We had to put him on a bed mat for ages as it just kept coming. confused He still strained even after the lactulose but seemed loads happier afterwards and actually slept very well after and during the night.

HV is coming on Monday, if things don't stay better with the lactulose then I will say I want a referral. Tbh I want one anyway as even if we sort the symptoms there must be a reason he is being like this?

Rummikub Wed 21-Aug-13 02:55:49

My dd didn't poo for 2 weeks at a similar age. Ebf too. GP said as dd didnt seem distressed and no other symptoms then to give a couple of teaspoons of orange juice. That did the trick! It was a worry. I just didn't know what to do.

My DS would go for up to a couple of weeks without a poo but he wasn't in any discomfort or struggling to poo. It just sort of came when it came.

It really does sound like you've been trying an awful lot of different solutions in 8 short weeks, without them helping, so I think it would be worth while pushing for a referral.

StUmbrageinSkelt Wed 21-Aug-13 02:24:54

No it really isn't worth giving a BF 8 week old baby orange juice.

maja00 Tue 20-Aug-13 17:29:21

This baby is only 8 weeks Woolfey.

Woolfey Tue 20-Aug-13 17:28:28

I was told by the HV to give DD1 one teaspoon of fresh orange juice in 1oz of water when she got constipated. Worked for us so might be worth a go?

StUmbrageinSkelt Tue 20-Aug-13 16:30:56

Yes that length of time is perfectly normal, it's the distress and the pellets you describe which need looking at.

Blatherskite Tue 20-Aug-13 16:14:05

It's quite normal for EBF babies to go 10 days between poos but he shouldn't be struggling like this when he does go.

The amounts of water they're telling you to give sounds enormous. When DS began mix feeding and got bunged up I was giving him apple juice mixed with water but teaspoons full at a time not loads like that!

I also think you've exhausted your HV/GP's knowledge and should be requesting a referral. Would agree with sticking strictly to EBF if you can too as it will be the easiest thing for him to digest if he is having problems and will help to soothe and line his gut.

Is he gaining weight?

NumTumDeDum Tue 20-Aug-13 16:07:06

I came on to suggest pear juice but then I saw his age. He's very young, there must be something to it. You must get someone to look into it. Your GP needs to refer and if they won't then I think I'd be going to the hospital. Your poor baby in such discomfort. How awful for all of you. I had terrible trouble with my dd but not until she started weaning, so much older.

It is, he would rarely take that in EBM... I didn't do it, I think she just got confused by amounts tbh.

maja00 Tue 20-Aug-13 15:44:21

4oz of water after every feed could easily be more water than he is having milk shock That advice sounds downright dangerous.

Skelt I completely agree, it's the HV who was a bit too encouraging about giving him a bottle when I got quite low that meant he has ended up with a couple but once I seen he just threw the lot up I decided it wasn't right for him.

Luckily my GPs are very very encouraging of BF plus I have spent too much on pumps, covers and everything else to give up grin

StUmbrageinSkelt Tue 20-Aug-13 15:34:55

We have a retrospective diagnosis of congenital megacolon but everyone we see who hears the story are all but why weren't you taken seriously? I dunno, you tell me, you're the doctor!

I would push for a referral. And keep him BF! Not being a bfing zealot but if there is something going on, BF is really the best thing for his gut. Usually formula will only make it worse.

Passing meconium is a good thing.

Maja HV was wanting me to give 4oz of water between feeds until I asked how that would affect sodium levels. I think everyone is a bit stumped as to what to do.

Considering just rocking up at Paed A+E if he hasn't gone by tomorrow.

maja00 Tue 20-Aug-13 15:26:00

I wouldn't think giving water to an 8 week old baby is a very good idea either! Sounds like you have exhausted your GP/HVs knowledge on this.

Did you ever find out the cause?

Yes, loads of meconium all came fine. confused

I wish someone would take it more seriously here too. The advice is normally just "give water" It's so frustrating!

He was also a bit early (35 weeker) I don't know if that woul make a difference?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now