Help to get my 7 month old off BF and onto FF?

(20 Posts)
Tiredtrout Wed 21-Aug-13 12:17:58

I saw the health visitor, she suggested the nuk bottles, doidy cup, cherry dummies and trying at every feed. Which means expressing at every feed too. Off to visit mum now, thanks for the help everyone

BKKate Wed 21-Aug-13 08:00:50

More success with the sippy cup today. Maybe worth a try Tiredtrout? Or another friend of mine also had success with the nil teats. It's very frustrating...

NumTumDeDum Wed 21-Aug-13 06:35:57

You could also try the Medala bottles and teats which are meant to mimic breastfeeding better.

chestnut100 Wed 21-Aug-13 06:32:47

Can I suggest trying the nuk range of tears? My son stubbornly refused for months but got the hang of these almost immediately

Tiredtrout Wed 21-Aug-13 06:04:07

Tried with the doidy cup and a different bottle, no cigar, she turned purple and was screaming, nothing taken. I'm off to see the health visitors today as I have to go to the hospital today

Tiredtrout Tue 20-Aug-13 18:13:21

I've got hold of a doidy cup so we are going to give it a try later

BKKate Tue 20-Aug-13 14:09:27

Actually I tried a sippy cup today and she happily had a fair bit of formula, so might try that tomorrow with some breastmilk and go from there....

Tiredtrout Tue 20-Aug-13 07:54:06

Thanks kate, from what I remember boob cold turkey is a bad idea for your problem, I think it's going to be best to reduce into formula. Can you get someone else to give some of the feeds?

AidanTheRevengeNinja Tue 20-Aug-13 07:51:22

Try a sippy cup - my almost 6 month old glugs happily from the Tommy Tippee First Cup one (cheapy free flow one) after having staunchly refused all bottles. I have to hold it for him for any decent amount to go in but it works.

BKKate Tue 20-Aug-13 00:58:17

I did try lots if different bottles, and the best I've found are "breast flow bottles" by the first years. They're a bit different to other bottles and I got her to take milk from them after she first refused to take bottle and they stopped the screaming everytime the bottle came out. Maybe worth a try?

Tiredtrout Mon 19-Aug-13 22:46:44

I'll keep trying stuff then, I'm planning on pumping and dumping as necessary, it's all going a bit down hill for mum at the moment and she finds the kids exhausting however much she loves them. I have some ready mixed formula in the cupboard for emergencies but intend to continue feeding myself after the crisis

ExBrightonBell Mon 19-Aug-13 22:40:44

Doidy cups or similar open cups can work, rather than sippy cups. There's a video on YouTube demo-ing it.

Tiredtrout Mon 19-Aug-13 22:05:35

So far we've tried dh, big brother, big sister all feeding her with a bottle, with expressed milk, with me in the room, not in the room but in the house and with me out of the house. We've tried spoon feeding too. Not tried a cup, is that dippy or normal?

The other thing I've tried is swapping onto the bottle mid feed when she's all calm.

All attempts have just resulted in screaming. The feeding when I've been out of the house she screamed for half an hour while all three tried to persuade then she just fell ssleep

Can you get your dh to feed for a while ? So she doesn't smell the milk. You can continue to express in meantime and do the evening feed?

ExBrightonBell Mon 19-Aug-13 21:26:05

Tiredtrout, have you tried giving her milk from a cup? Even young babies can learn to drink from them apparently. It could be worth a try.

So sorry about your DM.

Tiredtrout Mon 19-Aug-13 21:15:29

Sorry to jump in Kate thanks

Tiredtrout Mon 19-Aug-13 21:14:29

I'm desperate for my 3mo ebf baby to accept a bottle of ebm or formula. My dm is terminally ill and I don't think it would be a good idea to take the baby with me when I see her as it is too tiring for dm and she is on an oncology ward so babies nappies with all they entail and the noise would be inconsiderate. She screams at the bottle no matter who gives it.

Any ideas?

is there a particular reason you need her to have a bottle rather than breast?

i would just keep offering now and then until she is more used to it. don't go cold turkey. breastfeeding is about so much more than just milk and she is way too young to know why you would suddenly not be letting her have it

LJWal1 Mon 19-Aug-13 20:38:19

I wish I had an answer. My seven month old used to take a bottle no problem but now refuses unless very sleepy and alternated with breast and done by me. It's driving me insane as I can never get a break as no one else can put her to bed or help at night. She doesn't sleep either! Night time takes up to 2 hours to get her to sleep as it is!! I can only sympathise and watch this post in the hope someone has answers!!

BKKate Mon 19-Aug-13 09:31:06

please I'd love some ideas of how to get my 7 month old off breast feeds and onto formula. she will occasionally drink formula from a bottle and will have some expressed milk in a bottle, but it's pretty rare. I know she likes the current formula as she drank 6oz of it the other week from a Mam bottle.
I'm keen for any alternative ideas? At the moment she plays with the bottle and takes the odd sip....should I go cold turkey on the boob?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now