Not able to pump enough

(33 Posts)
Divster Fri 02-Aug-13 21:34:26

This is for my Daughter, she had her baby 10 days ago. She wanted to breastfeed, but couldnt get him to latch, he is also tongue tie. So she is pumping all feeds instead.

This was/is working very well for them, he has gained weight, but today he is drinking all she is pumping off, and then wants more but she feels she is empty.

What advice do you have? She has a breastfeeding midwife coming on Monday, but what can she do over the weekend to help?

Divster Sat 03-Aug-13 20:53:07

I think it was being left with nothing to feed him with yesterday, it really upset and panicked her

AmandaPandtheTantrumofDoom Sat 03-Aug-13 21:00:09

It might be worth reassuring her that lots of people who are having serious problems (as she sounds like she is) supplement with formula. With the right help, it can be a useful step in getting things back on track. I know it can seem like the beginning of the end, but with the right help and a plan it need not be, and it might make her feel less scared.

ChunkyChicken Sat 03-Aug-13 23:21:48

Agree with Amanda. Whilst it might seem like a backward step, if its a choice between having a screaming miserable baby and a stressed Mummy or having a baby fed with some ebm then formula, its a no-brainer, & all the time she's pumping & still wanting to bf, then she has every chance of both of them getting there.

midori1999 Sat 03-Aug-13 23:37:51

I'm glad things are going better.

Is the pump you've hired one that can pump both breasts at once? Obviously this saves time, but will also help your DD to produce more milk too.

Your DD is very lucky to have such a supportive and helpful Mum.

Divster Tue 06-Aug-13 22:03:08

The breastfeeding midwife didnt turn up yesterday, think the midwife said she was tired from being called into labour ward in the night, but wrote it in her diary, but then didnt book it.

But, still doing ok pumping, HV came and baby is now 7.8 from 6.14. at 10 day old

Thank you all

Trying2bMindful Tue 06-Aug-13 22:15:08

Hope she gets the help she needs to get baby on the breast soon. Might be worth finding a local bf expert...,I found the LLL group local to me excellent help.
http://www.laleche.org.uk/content/telephone-helpline

AmandaPandtheTantrumofDoom Tue 06-Aug-13 22:15:39

Is she coming soon instead?

WeAreSeven Wed 07-Aug-13 01:27:59

I had to pump exclusively for ds3 and for dd as they were both prem. With dd it was for 7 weeks, and then sadly she died.
I found that I had to pump every 3 hours at least in order to increase supply. If I left it to every 4 hours, for example, my supply would stay the same but not increase.
A double pump is far more effective than a single pump and it's much better if the pump is hospital grade. Having said that, I found that any Avent pump was better than any Medela pump but that varies from person to person.
If you take domperidone and a fennel supplement it can increase your supply
If you use a technique called breast compression, that can also help. Basically at the end of a pumping session, you grab your breast at the back, thumb on top, fingers underneath and massage forward. Do this a few times and you usually find you get a few more drops. I'm not sure if it was my imagination but this milk always looked a bit richer than the milk that came out first.

I think what the MW might mean about letting him cry is that it's better to spend time pumping than picking baby up as it means he'll get more milk in the end. However I think people underestimate how exhausting both pumping and caring for a baby are. With dd, it was pump, wash pump bits, sterilise, feed, change, pump wash pump bits and on and on and on. And this was 24/7. If my Mum hadn't stayed with me, then there would also have been laundry, take care of my boys, school run because dh had to work! And it's awful listening to a baby cry!

They should sort out the tongue tie as a matter of urgency really as that would save her a lot of agony.

And if it doesn't work, then tell her not to beat herself up about it, she has done fantastically well so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now