Can breastfeeding make you feel strange emotionally? Hormones?

(11 Posts)
Stripedmum Sat 27-Jul-13 19:13:19

I suffered postnatal anxiety after the birth of my son and it took ages to settle down. It never really 'righted' and now I have a DD.

I've noticed that my anxiety and generally feeling 'off' and weird worsens when DS (or now DD) have a growth spurt.

I've read that prolactin can contribute to feelings of despair and sadness and I've certainly experienced these whilst BFing - worse during spurts or when dropping a feed.

Does BFing make anyone else feel emotionally odd?

Earthworms Sat 27-Jul-13 19:15:13

Yes. Very.

Now I've stopped, I realise just how odd. It's taken 3 yrs to get back to normal.

But you do get back to normal.

Stripedmum Sat 27-Jul-13 19:19:21

Oh thank God. I've seen a psychiatrist and everything but he just said I'm adjusting to children. I swear it's not that though - I'm certain it's hormonal. If it is I wonder if BFing has been the right thing to do as I've really felt bad.

Can you quite put it into words Earthworm? I'm quite articulate but can't.

nethunsreject Sat 27-Jul-13 19:19:33

Technically, breastfeeding is protective against postnatal illness, however, having a baby is bloody tough on your wellbeing sometimes!

nethunsreject Sat 27-Jul-13 19:21:23

Of course, I don't mean to dismiss you feelings!! You might be someone who has an atypical reaction to the hormones.

Stripedmum Sat 27-Jul-13 19:22:40

I know nethuns but I really have a hunch that's what it is.

chezchaos Sat 27-Jul-13 19:26:44

I found that whenever my children dropped a feed my moods went very strange so makes sense that it would work the same when they increase a feed. The tiredness caused by making extra milk doesn't help. It does pass but can be unsettling until you realise what's causing it.

CityDweller Sat 27-Jul-13 19:31:28

I also think that growth spurts can in general add to feelings of despair. They eat more, sleep less, are generally out of sorts. It throws me for a loop and often makes me feel trapped

habhann Sat 27-Jul-13 19:58:23

I am finding that now since my periods have returned and I am still breastfeeding my mood swings quite dramatically...intense thoughts and yes can empathize with odd feelings...does it stop when breastfeeding stops

DoItTooJulia Sat 27-Jul-13 20:02:53

I'd put bf and stopping bf up there as the most hormonal things I have ever experienced. The only thing that comes close is early pregnancy.

Interestingly I have suffered from some pn anxiety, so maybe there is a link?

Hope you are ok. Bf, being hormonal, suffering from anxiety,plus having small children or babies to look after is hard. Take it easy if you can.

Stripedmum Sat 27-Jul-13 20:14:55

Thank you DoIt. That's really kind.

Weirdly when I stopped feeding DS it subsided but would return two weeks before a period. I'm just sick of the hormonal rollercoaster! I clearly don't handle them very well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now