Help! Bf toddler having operation!

(19 Posts)

Well done. Good luck for op tomorrow smile xx

SunnyIntervals Tue 06-Aug-13 13:44:56

Thanks so much all for sharing your experience/advice - I am the op, but have nc.

We found out today the op will be tomorrow, probably at 11 am, though we have to be there from 9. We went private in the end, to cut the wait as DS has a speech delay.

On bf, the consultant has said we are ok to bf all through the night as long as no bm after 6.30! So I will just make sure we get up early and everything will be fine smile

SerenDPDee Mon 29-Jul-13 10:30:43

Is there a standard protocol that's applicable across the country Splatt? We definitely encountered different interpretations of those fasting times (both ops were in Wales) - does it depend on the anaesthetist? It may be useful for the OP to have the source of those fasting times to have in discussions with the unit where her son is having his operation.

Splatt34 Mon 29-Jul-13 06:32:33

It is unlikely you will be able to choose morning or afternoon list. The youngest child is always first on the list (unless there is an older on with special needs). Fasting times are 6 hours for food or formula, 4 hours for breast milk & 2 hours for water. There is no reason for anyone of any age to be fasted for 12 hours for elective surgery. Bare in mind that you will need to be at hospital probably an hour and a half before the list time (so 7 am for a morning list). You should get an information leaflet through but if in doubt call the pediatric ward / day unit depending on hospital.

I know it is scary for you but he will be very well looked after and it is a very small op. Better than recurrent ear infections or poor hearing.

SerenDPDee Sun 28-Jul-13 12:31:50

Hi, my dd is now 2 1/2, and is still breastfed, especially through the night ( we co-sleep too, and she can get hysterical if she is denied her 'night nights). She's had 2 GA, one at 9 months, the other at 2 and a bit. I think they usually try to schedule the little ones early. There two ops were at 2 different hospitals, and the first was happy for her to feed up to about 6 hours before, which was easier all round, as her surgery was at 1.30pm and she could feed til about 7 am. the second time, they insisted on a 12 hour fast, and her appointment was first thing in the morning, so no night feeding would be allowed at all. And it turned out to be absolutely fine. I'd built it up into something enormous, almost worrying as much about that as about the surgery. In the end i decided it was easier to sleep in another room that night, and DH was with her dad and it was all ok (even though I so wanted to be with her the night before her op). I made sure I was up and dressed before she got up and then it was just a matter then of keeping her as busy and distracted as possible at the hospital before she went for her ops. Both times, only one parent was able to go down with her when she was having the GA. DD has sailed through it all, loves her doctor's set (and doc macstuffins) and chats happily about going to the hospital. Wishing all the best for you and your son, it's scary I know, but you'll all be through it in no time x

GherkinsAreAce Tue 23-Jul-13 19:30:25

That's good advice thank you, clever bit - I'm glad it went so well for your dd.

cleverbit Tue 23-Jul-13 19:03:54

My DD had surgery when she was nearly 1. I set an alarm to feed her (I think we were allowed a feed at 4? for any early morning appointment) then I reset my alarm for before she usually woke up so dh and I could get dressed and ready to go. when she woke we whisked her out the door (possibly still in her sleepsuit) before she knew what was happening. we faffed around outside until we had to be at the hospital. I was really worried about having to skip morning bf/breakfast but she didn't let out a peep. I hope it goes well for you and your son!

GherkinsAreAce Tue 23-Jul-13 09:50:26

Luckily we have a very nice ENT surgeon - I will speak to him about it.

That would probably work. Much easier to fast overnight. They had us there about 2 hrs before the op for checks etc. You do need to talk to the hospital though as it is up to the anaesthetist, and what their view is, when ds had his 3 years ago they saw bm as between fluid and solid. If you don't check then it might delay or even cancel the op, even if there are different guidelines on the net.

GherkinsAreAce Tue 23-Jul-13 08:28:21

So basically, if I got up early, at say 5.30 (usually wakes around 6.15) and then didn't give him breakfast, he could have his last bf at 5.30 and then op at 9.30. I could try and distract him with an exciting activity eg walk to playground if weather fine, to make up for missing breakfast.

IIRC correctly I was told BM is regarded as a clear fluid so the same rules as water.

Have had a quick google and the consensus seems to be 4 hours before surgery.

kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/illness-surgery/baby-surgery/

Do bear in mind though that often they say not to eat from midnight the night before, ds had to be at the hospital for 10 I think, op was at 12:30, but he wasn't allowed anything but water and bm from midnight to ? 7 and then nothing after that. Was the same when I had a minor op last year. Lunchtime op may still not mean they can have breakfast and a late afternoon op may mean that they get bumped off the list if any emergency. Best to discuss with the ward before you agree to anything. Ds will be in a foul mood too - he can cope without food but not his beloved hot chocolate!

GherkinsAreAce Tue 23-Jul-13 07:14:14

Cheung - that's reassuring about the risks! Agree re brek - another reason why I think an op around lunchtime would be good for us!!

CheungFun Tue 23-Jul-13 06:57:11

My DS will need a small op soon and our gp reassured us and said that the risks of anaesthetic for over 1's are the same as for adults.

I'm thinking for DS, as long as he can eat breakfast he will be fine to have the op at my time, but if he wakes up and I can't give him breakfast he will have a major meltdown!

GherkinsAreAce Tue 23-Jul-13 06:35:02

Bumping!! Anyone else any advice??

GherkinsAreAce Mon 22-Jul-13 22:00:58

3birthday, thanks for the advice and I hope the op at your end goes very well.

Can't believe I am going to let someone give him a GA - he is still my baby sad I know it's all in a good cause, though!

Also dreading now having to constantly tell him that he can't eat or drink anything - he was too young before to be too demanding or specific. The earlier you get to the hospital the less he will think about the food and hunger and the more he will be distracted by the novelty. They generally arrange the list in age order so babies are done first etc, we were only so late as 30 miles away and had to arrange childcare for older siblings.

I seem to remember when ds had his op (6 months) he couldn't eat anything from midnight the night before (his op was at lunchtime), but I could bf up until 4 (or maybe 6) hours before, as bm passes through more quickly. I would still try to go for earliest time as later on in the day lists run behind and you wait even longer. I would talk to the ward before to clarify. Maybe set an alarm for yourself just before last deadline. Ds might have to have another op, although horrible going through it they do take good care of them.

GherkinsAreAce Mon 22-Jul-13 19:06:36

My bf toddler is having an op - just grommets - probably in the next month. Found out today and even though I know it is a very simple op I feel very sad about it sad

What is the best time to have the op for minimum distress for him? He bf to sleep and then also around 2 hours after and then again at around 5 am. No bf during the day. If he's hot he feeds more at night. We co sleep, so I can't see how not bf him at night is going to work!

Should I request a lunchtime op slot and how long before the op should I be able to bf him?

Any advice v welcome!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now