Anyone with a newborn?

(8 Posts)
NicolaSeal Wed 17-Jul-13 13:07:13

Ok, so I just wanted to see how long your little ones bf for. I guess there's no right or wrong, but I've not had a hv over yet to check what we're doing. My ds, 2 weeks old, feeds for approx 10 mins every 1.5 hours. This doesn't sound like very much to me so I wanted to see what others were doing :-)

Is he gaining weight, and having plenty of wet and dirty nappies?

If so, relax! Some babies are quicker at feeding than others, and if that's the case with your DS, count yourself lucky! ;)

If there are concerns, then get them checked.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Wed 17-Jul-13 13:26:30

As long as he has wet and dirty nappies and puts on weight anything goes.
I'm on dc3 and they've all fed differently.

maja00 Wed 17-Jul-13 13:42:53

Sounds fine so long as he is gaining weight and is content between feeds. Make sure you always offer both sides every feed though.

Badgerwife Wed 17-Jul-13 14:04:29

My DD2 is 3 weeks old and she's also a quick feeder, only 10 minutes at the breast max. I can tell she's drinking plenty in that time, her nappies are fine and she's putting on weight so I'm very happy with that. Also in the heat I would expect her to eat a bit more often.

As in, can you hear your DS swallowing? How's your supply? I know I produce a lot of milk so my DD doesn't work to work very hard at all to get lots of milk in quickly.

Lorelei353 Wed 17-Jul-13 14:24:01

My DS is 5 weeks now and feeding more but at 2 weeks was similar to you. Even when he lost weight initially (poor tach at first) mw told me that 10-15 mins every three hours was the aim, so you're doing fine. Just remember how very teeny their stomachs are.

GiraffesAndButterflies Wed 17-Jul-13 14:27:32

Go by the nappies not the feeds. My DD was feeding less than that at that stage, and now she's a 91st percentile monster! Heavy wet and dirty nappies mean baby's fine. And congratulations grin

Quinandthem Fri 19-Jul-13 17:20:31

Good question and answers.

My 9day old never seems to be on that long before drifting off to sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now