Help! 5 1/2 month old feeding (and sleeping) like a newborn...

(8 Posts)
em0000 Wed 17-Jul-13 10:21:50

My dd is nearly 24 weeks old and EBF. Until a few days ago she was feeding every 3 or so hours in the day and 3 times between 7pm and 6am. For the past 2 days she's been feeding every 1.5 to 2 hours in the day and 2-3 hourly at night. I am shattered and feel like my boobs have been totally drained (I've never had any doubts about my supply before, in fact I've always had a lot of milk). So I guess I'm wondering if this is some kind of crazy growth spurt or if it's a sign she needs solid food? I'm happy to ride it out if it seems likely to settle down in the next couple of days. But my mum (and others) keep saying I should give her food... Has anyone else been here?!
Thanks!

Badgerwife Wed 17-Jul-13 10:34:49

I'm not the most informed and hope you get some others to advise you but it could indeed well be a growth spurt. The other thing that comes to mind is that in this heat, your DD probably need more hydration and so no surprise she's feeding more. It's unlikely to last though (small reassurance when you're knackered yourself I know). I would hold off solids until 6 months myself following WHO guidance but from then on, if she's showing interest I would try her on food.

GiraffesAndButterflies Wed 17-Jul-13 10:41:01

I'm having the same thing, have been putting it down to the heat. She is suddenly sleeping much more fitfully, feeding has always been frequent but now it's lots of little feeds, and she's waking on average every 1 1/2 or 2 hours where before it would be more like 4 hours at night.

I hope it stops when the weather cools a bit!

chickabilla Wed 17-Jul-13 10:43:52

My DD is 20 weeks and also feeding a lot more at the moment; I assumed it was at least partly because of the weather as I am certainly needing more to drink too.

tiktok Wed 17-Jul-13 11:20:28

It's hot. She's thirsty. She needs it smile

em0000 Wed 17-Jul-13 12:08:35

Thank you! I had thought it might also be the heat making her thirsty, but I don't know many other mums 'still' bfing at nearly 6 months so had nothing to compare it to. I'm keen to hold off on solids til she's 6 months so will try to withstand the constant comments about feeding and/ or giving cooled boiled water.... Wish she'd have a decent nap so I could catch up on some sleep too...

YouMaySayImADreamer Wed 17-Jul-13 12:24:06

If its any consolation i am also getting the comments from everyone including my dp about giving my ds who is 24 weeks today, solids...it is driving me mad! Everytime i mention a slight change in his eating habits,this is what i get! So just to say youre not alone!
I just tend to say i am folliwing the guidelines with this being my first baby, because that is what the latest research says. It does tend to be enough to stop most people's comments. It is your baby!

Ive noticed my ds feeding a bit more often in the heat, altho the extra feeds are more like quick snacks/drinks and hes also been a bit fussy during feeding. He has also been a bit sporadic with his night feeding, waking up at random times as opposed to his usual sleeping from 9/10 to 5am. Its tiring isnt is, bit i find just remembering that it is temporary keeps me going! Also we are both so close to the 6 month mark when feeds will (hopefully) gradually space out a bit!

tiktok Wed 17-Jul-13 13:24:59

It's a bit daft to give solid foods to a baby who may well be thirsty....there's no desperate rush for solids, anyway, even with a baby of 6 mths, who is healthy and thriving.

If it's still hot when you decide you're ok about trying her with solids, you can give her something juicy, like pear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now