Breastfeeding getting harder not easier (4 months in)

(9 Posts)
Jemimapuddleduk Wed 17-Jul-13 07:59:25

Hello- i am looking for some advice.
I have been bf'ing my dd from day 1 and it started really well- she took to it, I took to it and all good. Had mastitis but battled through. From about 6 weeks she was sleeping 7-3 ish, wake for a feed then back down till 7.

The last few weeks she has been v difficult to settle at night, screaming at the boob and it really takes some cajoling to get her to feed at bedtime. She then is needing to be settled several times before she finally gets off. She is also waking at 12. Should I be feeding her or just re settling her at this point? She then wakes at 2.30 and I feed her and then 6 when she is up for the day.
Breastfeeding during the day has also become an ordeal, she often cries at the boob and again needs cajoling to feed. The best feeds are when I catch her when she is very tired! She often only feeds for 5 minutes at a time which doesn't seem very long!
Finding it all a bit exhausting (and no longer a pleasure) and it's difficult to know what is normal!
Any advise on boob battling babies?
Also should I be feeding her every time she wakes on the night?
Thank you

CityDweller Wed 17-Jul-13 08:14:27

No real advice, but isn't there a 4 month developmental spurt/ sleep regression?? If so, my guess would be that it will pass and to try to ride it out by offering boob as often as necessary. My dd (now 3 months) was doing the screamy-fussy at boob thing at 9 wks and, while it was miserable, it passed after about a week.

nancerama Wed 17-Jul-13 08:15:49

Sounds like the 4 month growth spurt to me. It really is like having a newborn all over again, isn't it.

No advice, but stick with it. It will pass.

JKSLtd Wed 17-Jul-13 08:19:56

Agree with other posters. Also, they start getting more interested in the world around them now so try feeding in a quiet, distraction-free area if possible. Food during the day isn't their only interest now so they often try and catch up at night when less is happening. Your choice but I fed in the night at this point if they wanted it and only held back later on when they were 6mo plus.

Forgetfulmog Wed 17-Jul-13 08:28:47

4 month growth spurt! It will pass so fear not! If she wakes in the night just feed her - she still needs milk at night especially through a growth spurt.

Well done on getting this far too, especially with mastitis

Jemimapuddleduk Wed 17-Jul-13 08:34:44

Thank you all for your quick responses. Sounds like a 4 month, developmental thing then.
Will just ride with it and hope it passes soon!

Forgetfulmog Wed 17-Jul-13 08:35:21

Lots of fluids & cake will also help!

Jemimapuddleduk Wed 17-Jul-13 08:57:06

Haha, yes I agree more cake for energy!

McBaby Wed 17-Jul-13 10:29:25

4 month growth spurt ride it out and one day she will magically go back to old pattern or even better again smile

Or my little one it took about 6 weeks but she went from waking once to feed quickly to waking up to ten times a night for six weeks they one night suddenly sleeping for 11 hours straight!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now