Baby can't breastfeed because of blocked nose

(14 Posts)
Gurke Mon 15-Jul-13 20:55:28

My DS is now almost 10 months actual/ 7 corrected. Last week he got a high temperature, a cough which has made him puke (he was a refluxy baby until recently anyway), and a sore throat. After a few days of this, he has now started to produce large quantities of snot, and the main problem is that as soon as he tries to breastfeed he either gives up because he can't breathe, or he feeds very inefficiently (I.e. my boobs are still full at the end). His nappies have been unusually light, although he is active and in good spirits otherwise.

So I was not surprised to see that he's lost weight this week, what with the sweltering heat, the vomiting and the lack of feeding. The question is: what can I do about it? And how long does this kind of thing normally last? I've already tried saline drops, bm in his nose, snotsucker (which didn't work because the gunk doesn't seem to be directly in his nose but lower down), trying to get him too feed upright (which he refuses) - and am running out of ideas.

Sorry about the long post. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Forgetfulmog Mon 15-Jul-13 21:02:38

Yeah my dd gets the snot thing & she did have it for 3 weeks last time. Saline drops are crap IME. What you need is Baby decongestant drops - I've forgotten what the brand is now (it's the advert where there are really big noses on legs blush) - put a few drops on a muslin & waft it about while ds is feeding & it should clear his nose. Don't bother about Snufflebabe (Vicks for babies) though as its crap

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Mon 15-Jul-13 21:06:41

I know it's hot but run the shower with the windows and door shut do it gets steamy. Then take DS in there and it should help unblock his nose for a little while. I also put a little Olbas oil in a sink full of hot water while in there.

Forgetfulmog Mon 15-Jul-13 21:09:04

Olbas! That's it, thank you!

Mycatistoosexy Mon 15-Jul-13 21:10:21

Seconding Olbas Oil and a sir in a steamy bathroom.

Have you tried expressing and giving him BM in a sippy cup? I always find my DS likes that more as he can take a swig without holding his breath too much

Mycatistoosexy Mon 15-Jul-13 21:10:58

Sit not sir the sir is for me

showtunesgirl Mon 15-Jul-13 21:15:01

Saline drops are shit BUT Sterimar sea water spray is great. It literally shoots water into their nose to clear it.

Forgetfulmog Mon 15-Jul-13 21:15:35

grin At my cat

Gurke Mon 15-Jul-13 21:16:53

grin My cat, that's cheered me up considerably.

Gurke Mon 15-Jul-13 21:18:48

And thanks or the great suggestions - am now trying to find the old bottle of olbas oil which I swear I have kept somewhere. And steamy sauna it is - tomorrow will be a perfect day or it... (Forecast of 31 degrees) smile

HappyHippyHippo Mon 15-Jul-13 21:27:12

Hiya,
Never managed to unblock the nose so I gave up and concentrated on ways to help feeding.
Have you tried expressing and bottle feeding? Seems to be easier to coordinate breathing and feeding with blocked nose. Dd never wanted to bottle feed except when poorly. (or if you are anywhere near as rubbish at expressing as I
was, even water would surely help in this heat).
Other things I did were: breastfeeding little and often - so many more short feeds. Once when she also had bad diarrhoea and i was worried she'd get dehydrated I bought a syringe from the pharmacy (or use the Calpol one) and gave her water that way.. Never managed to get as much food and fluid in as when she was well but managed to keep her well enough hydrated while she recovered.
Ds bunged noses only ever lasted 4-5 days and then she'd play catch up with eating. Hope ds feels better soon.

Gurke Mon 15-Jul-13 22:44:59

Thanks for the good ideas, Hippo. DS is a long standing bottle refuser, but does now drink (smallish amounts) from the straw cup. It's better than nothing and I will keep offering it, but I'm worried its obviously not enough (and seeing all that expressed milk is depressing).

But 4-5 days of this is a better prognosis than the 3 weeks someone else mentioned upthread...

Gurke Tue 16-Jul-13 21:25:15

Well, I took him to the doc this afternoon, who diagnosed swollen and red tonsils and a probable ear infection sad No wonder the poor boy won't drink anything. The Olbas-muslin helped his nose though, thanks again for the suggestion.

Mycatistoosexy Wed 17-Jul-13 09:04:54

Oh no poor baby, must be miserable for him, wishing him a speedy recovery smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now