Can I try to space out BF when it's really hot??

(7 Posts)
flowersinavase Sun 14-Jul-13 01:08:21

We live abroad and it's 30+ degrees every day.

DS is EBF (5m) and I'm desperate to try to get him to go longer between feeds: he rarely goes even 2.5hrs, let alone 3hrs. I was planning on slowly forcing longer breaks but am now worried that this'll deny him the liquids he needs in this heat.

Is it safe to force a 3-4hr gap? Or shall I just continue to feed on demand and feel like I'm losing my mind I seem to spend so much of my time nursing

Rummikub Sun 14-Jul-13 01:13:59

Breast feeding on demand best. Your baby knows what he wants. My dd1 fed every couple of hours. As newborn it was every half hour! I don't know whether water would be a good idea in that heat in addition?

SirBoobAlot Sun 14-Jul-13 01:17:55

Continue to breastfeed on demand. Right now, he needs he 'liquid' intake from you as much as his 'food'.

In that kind of heat, think of how much you need a drink. Because that's exactly what he's doing smile Can you imagine being told you need to go 4 hours without a sip of anything? smile

As much as it's tiring, you're doing the best thing, and it stops feeling so draining soon.

caroldecker Sun 14-Jul-13 01:50:07

Or try water and FF

flowersinavase Sun 14-Jul-13 02:59:55

Thanks. That's what I figured but sort of hoped for a different answer! I got into bad habits with DD - using the boob as a solution to everything - so am probably over-compensating this time and trying to be too strict!

TanteRose Sun 14-Jul-13 03:28:29

Agree with other

Also, using the boob as a solution to everything is one of the BEST things about breastfeeding grin
Keep doing what you are doing smile

SirBoobAlot Sun 14-Jul-13 09:06:28

Agree with TanteRose; one of most useful things about breastfeeding is it IS a solution to everything grin Don't stress, and keep doing what you're doing smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now