Mother asked to stop breast feeding....in Kiddiecare!

(16 Posts)
JustGiveMeFiveMinutes Fri 12-Jul-13 20:23:23
WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 12-Jul-13 20:24:39

Reflects really badly on the company. angry for her

GetYourMoneyBackAtTheDoor Fri 12-Jul-13 20:31:33

Didn't the mum in question start a thread about this? I thought she was just told there was a feeding area available, should she wish to use it?

TerribleTantrums Fri 12-Jul-13 20:31:54

That sounds remarkably similar to a thread that was started on here a short while ago. After close questioning from others on the thread it turned out that the member of staff had pointed out the nursing nest to her and his actual words could have been taken in one of two ways. Either he meant to point out a comfortable and private area for her to bf if she wanted it, or he was implying that she should move away from the café to bf. The OP had chosen to take offense when, in fact, it could have been a badly phrased sentence from an embarrassed young person who was trying to be helpful.

I'll have a look for the thread.

JustGiveMeFiveMinutes Fri 12-Jul-13 20:32:22

It certainly does reflect badly on them.

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 12-Jul-13 20:34:57

I don't like staff pointing out feeding facilities when someone is feeding comfortably anyway. I don't want to be even slightly corralled into a special area.

Sirzy Fri 12-Jul-13 20:35:14

kiddiecare have confirmed on their facebook page that they told her that there was somewhere available not that she had to move.

Having been in this branch of kiddicare many times I have seen woman breastfeeding and never seen anyone having any issue with it.

thistlelicker Fri 12-Jul-13 20:36:57

There was a thread
About this last week! Full of contradictions! The original op very flustered! Hope she got mega bucks for selling her story!

thistlelicker Fri 12-Jul-13 20:44:25

All over
Facebook too! Hope the woman who sold story is happy with herself

ReginaPhilangie Fri 12-Jul-13 20:44:33

Typical male entitlement. You can get your tits out for my pleasure, but if it's for how nature intended then put it away. angry Kiddicare should be ashamed of themselves.

DinoSnores Sat 13-Jul-13 04:10:08

When she complained about it on here, it quickly became clear that the young man had just pointed out the breastfeeding tent, not told her to get in there. I don't think Kiddicare have anything to be ashamed of!

GeordieCherry Sat 13-Jul-13 04:13:17

According to the local paper, a customer complained & she was asked to not feed there

According to the thread it wasn't actually like that...

AidanTheRevengeNinja Sat 13-Jul-13 08:14:15

Sounds like a misunderstanding, but many companies (Boots, for example) have published their breastfeeding policies that include an explicit statement that if a woman is already breastfeeding anywhere in the store, she should not be directed towards the breastfeeding facilities. Probably because it's so easy to misconstrue such direction, not to mention an annoying interruption. The time to point out bf facilities is when a woman asks if there is somewhere private to feed (as I often do, because I just prefer it).

Kiddicare should just straighten out their policy in line with this and educate staff on it.

Stripedmum Sat 13-Jul-13 15:46:54

Agree with Aidan

milkyjo Sat 13-Jul-13 21:30:00

On another note there are some extremely demoralising comments after the article from a couple of people that have just made my blood boil! I have never had any problems bf in public, I have always been in the moment and never been approached, but if someone did I think I would have to say something back. I just assumed most people would accept it or if they were uncomfortable with it that's their problem to overcome.

LemonBreeland Sat 13-Jul-13 21:34:43

I do think that even though they may have just offered another area to feed in that is still wrong.

If a Mum is already feeding then it seems completely unnecessary to offer an alternative.

I don't think the lady going to the papers is right either though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now