Does anyone BFing not use a breast pump?

(39 Posts)
Quilty Wed 10-Jul-13 17:04:23

Just wondering do any of you EBF mums out there feed straight from the boob only, i.e. no expressing and bottles?

Everyone I know seems to express their milk. I don't have a problem with BF in public, (just need to get hang of it more!) so I'm wondering if I really need a breast pump? It seems to be something everyone gets, am I missing the point?

Quilty Thu 11-Jul-13 10:11:19

Thanks so much for all the replies. When I tell people I'm probably not bothering with a breast pump unless it becomes essential I tend to get a "are you mad?" type of response so it's good to hear I'm not!

jaggythistle Thu 11-Jul-13 04:44:03

If I hadn't needed to express to go back to work I wouldn't have smile

glorious Thu 11-Jul-13 03:44:14

Like life I do express but not generally for my own DD. I do have a cup of milk for long car journeys so we can time breaks better but she won't take much and tends to get upset. Having struggled to defrost quickly enough on the way to France this week I've also discovered that I can hand express as quickly so may switch to that. I think the existence of pumps makes you presume you need one whereas in fact you don't necessarily even if you need to get the milk out.

philbee Thu 11-Jul-13 01:51:10

I did with DD1 so DH could give her a 10pm 'dream feed' and I could sleep. This was good at the time but a pita when she was still stirring and demanding snacks at 10pm very night at the age of two! With DD2 I intended to express but she had tongue tie snipped at 6 weeks and I worried a bottle would mess with her latch after that, and then I just couldn't be bothered. She's 11 weeks now and I've only got 2 weeks until school hols, and I don't want to sit around pumping when DD1 is about and wanting to do things. She seems to go for a fair bit at night without a late feed anyway, so DH just takes her after 8pm and I get in bed then. My mum read something interesting about evening bm containing more sleep inducing melatonin (?) to help the baby sleep and how if you're feeding morning-pumped milk (which is when I'd pump) in the evening it won't have that. Think it was in the guardian.

threefeethighandrising Wed 10-Jul-13 21:28:13

I have never used a pump, and am on my 2nd EBF baby now.

"It seems to be something everyone gets, am I missing the point?"

Not at all. I suspect perhaps some of your friends have read "The Contented Little Baby Book" or similar, which advocates feeding by the clock, and expressing milk (I forget why). It always seemed like a monumental waste of time and source of stress to me.

Of course there are reasons people need to express (as mentioned on this thread). But if you have no need don't bother!

PinkPepper Wed 10-Jul-13 21:17:18

I only do so I could go back to work and carry on at 8 months. Now I don't bother as he's a year old and my supply copes ok (I only work till 2 three days a week) and he can have cows milk if he needs it when I'm gone

slightlysoupstained Wed 10-Jul-13 21:11:46

I did wonder too at one point whether everyone was expressing, but actually I think it's just that if you aren't, there's nothing to talk about, you just feed.

I didn't buy a breast pump (cheapie 10 quid manual pump), till DS was four months old & I wanted to go out - expressed two lots of 2 ounces and then put it away for months.

Now back at work, I express for the two full days I work, but not for the mornings because he tends to just wait for me. Still using the £10 pump, I don't get enough use out of it to make it worth getting anything expensive. I tend to express from the other breast while feeding DS, seems to help. (I don't express at work, seems to be fine without it.)

MrsHoarder Wed 10-Jul-13 20:40:42

Only after 6 months when I started needing some space (and at 8 months to leave him in nursery), DS hadn't dropped feeds yet but would drink from a cup and I preferred to express than to give formula.

But a different snack would be acceptable for a single missed feed at that age, so I didn't need to express.

Squiglettsmummy2bx Wed 10-Jul-13 20:34:30

My DS is 17 months old & I am still BF & have never given him expressed milk. It does mean he is always with me, especially as he feeds regularly day & night but that suits my personal situation anyway. Do whatever suits you best grin

SallyCinnamon1 Wed 10-Jul-13 20:21:13

It can really mess with your supply.

I am on my third baby and only ever tried expressing once, with dc1 - it was a disaster, got out about a millilitre of milk and the next day my boobs were the size of zeppelins [ouch]

I haven't bothered since. But then I've not had to work, or go out, so no need to.

McBaby Wed 10-Jul-13 20:17:04

My dd won't take a bottle so tried expressing for her but not much use.

It was a god send when I got mastitis and needed to express every 2-3 hours. Didn't want to get six month old in to a habit of waking for food all night. Similarly very useful when I have had blocked ducts they is only so much feeding my LO will do in one morning!

sleepyhead Wed 10-Jul-13 20:16:14

I expressed for ds2 almost exclusively until around 4 weeks due to severe pain, appalling latch, mastitis etc.

He's now 13 weeks and hasn't had a bottle for about 8 weeks. I keep thinking I should probably start expressing to get up a stash for nights out and going back to work at 6 months but I really, really can't be arsed. Bf directly is such a piece of piss now and I don't miss expressing At All, despite being able to get a bottle full very easily.

Hopefully he won't become a bottle refuser. I did similar for ds1 and he was happy to take a bottle after a break of 3 months or so, so fingers crossed.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 10-Jul-13 20:07:31

Tried expressing with dc1 and it just didn't work out. For some reason I thought I had to pump to bf successfully. Once I decided to stop trying I was much happier and relaxed. If you do want to express you can always express by hand smile

KnittedWaffle Wed 10-Jul-13 20:02:58

Nope.
3DC here and I tried it for a short while with DD but it is the most boring thing on earth. I kept thinking 'might as well be feeding them' .

HadALittleFaithBaby Wed 10-Jul-13 19:59:52

No you don't need to, not for the sake of it.

I do - DD needed top ups and had formula top ups for a couple of days. I then started expressing when my milk came in so she could have EBM top ups instead. From 3 weeks we introduced a bottle in the evenings - she cluster feeds and I was shattered, the bottle after her bath gives me a brek! It's helped me go out a couple of times leaving her knowing she'll take a bottle. But it's not a must do. Totally your choice.

AidanTheRevengeNinja Wed 10-Jul-13 19:11:09

Plus washing and sterilising is a pain in the backside. If you don't need to do it, don't.

AidanTheRevengeNinja Wed 10-Jul-13 19:10:44

You absolutely don't need one, if you are happy to just give breast as and when needed! I had one at first (just a cheap Avent handheld, did the job fine) and it was useful to be able to nip out and DH could give a bottle. But DS started refusing bottles at about 11 weeks, so we are now pump-free smile

mrsmartin1984 Wed 10-Jul-13 18:28:28

My DD refuses a bottle and I find pumping hard work. So I just don't bother. Far less hassle

CointreauVersial Wed 10-Jul-13 18:07:46

I could never get the hang of it. No problem producing milk with a baby on my boob, but the taps switched straight off when I tried to pump.

Dorris83 Wed 10-Jul-13 17:57:29

Btw it probably helps that DS sleeps well at night so I don't need to get help with night feeds. If he was still waking every two hours I might have introduced bottle with daddy!

Dorris83 Wed 10-Jul-13 17:55:42

Nope I haven't bothered yet (ds is 3 months) We haven't bought any of the equipment so I just do all the feeds. I love feeding him myself.

He'll be 9 months when I go back to work and I want to bf him up to a year at least so I guess il have to express when I go back to work. I don't plan on bothering until them though.

I totally know what you mean though, I did worry that I was missing something by not expressing and bottle feeding!!

badguider Wed 10-Jul-13 17:52:17

DH and I need to share childcare and I'd rather not use formula. But if I'd had the kind of job that gives months of maternity leave or if I was a sahm then I probably wouldn't bother.

Nope.

On my fourth too.

Honsandrevels Wed 10-Jul-13 17:44:00

I did when dd was in neo-natal but never bothered once she was home. A decent pump is expensive (mine was 60pounds!) and rubbish compared with the one in the hospital. I keep meaning to offer mine to the unit to loan out to other premature baby mums.

I wouldn't bother and spend the money you save on something nice!

FadBook Wed 10-Jul-13 17:43:20

I brought a basic Avent one just for when I needed to go out (went back to my sports team at 9 weeks) but dd was more or less a bottle refuser from the start so it has sat in the cupboard for several months.

I have always found that hand expressing was easier for me anyway.

Still feeding now at 23 months and it was a purchase I probably could have got away with not purchasing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now