So I'm returning to work with a 8 to 9 month old baby can I bf?

(17 Posts)
Nicknamefail Sat 29-Jun-13 09:50:47

Interesting thread as I want to continue bfing when I go back to work 3 days as well, though dd will the 12 mo then. (But is still a breast monster at 9 months).
Glad to hear it works as I will be doing long days too (are you a health professional op?) but want to do day feeds on my days off.

AndMiffyWentToSleep Sat 29-Jun-13 06:20:37

Sorry I missed your reply!
My work wasn't set up for expressing either (though I think legally they should offer you somewhere). I expressed at work - in a spare, empty office. A colleague did it at her desk in a shared office (5 desks!). Or if I went to another building, I used the first aid room.

Work life balance was fine with Wednesday to Friday. I think it is supposed to help kids settle at nursery if they're in for a block of time. Milk-wise I don't think it made a difference for me. But I know others who like having a 'mini weekend' midweek.

Oh and I never had mastitis either - until that time at 11 months!

motownmover Sat 29-Jun-13 06:02:08

Got to say I'm really inspired by all these busy mums still bfing.

pebbles1234 Congratulations flowers on your very recent arrival and thank you so much for responding. I hope you are getting rest where you can.

HappyasaSandboy Twins and bfing how amazing! And as knackering as bfing is it is that connection which is so special.

Irishmammy getting back to work at the 3 month point must have taken some organisation. It is funny how babies refuse a bottle from their mum but I suppose they are holding out for the bm.

And I like the idea of a mini weekend with a wednesday off. smile

I'll let you know how I get on with the days and the bfing. smile

pebbles1234 Fri 28-Jun-13 04:43:12

I worked Monday, Tuesday, thurs and it's been ideal. The only downside is you sometimes get that 'back to school' feeling twice in a week, if I was working especially hard or stressed.

Re the feeding I found ds just waited for me, and the minute we'd get through the door he'd be on me. I never expressed as I just couldn't seem to but my supply regulated itself and I never had any problems on the days we were together and he wanted to feed more, as at night. In fact, I fed him til he was 2.5 and only stopped when I was dehyrated due to hyperemisis in my 2nd pregnancy (who is now 7 hours old and looking line she'll take after her brother in the feeding department!)

HappyAsASandboy Fri 28-Jun-13 01:58:39

I returned to work when my twins were 1 year, so slightly older, but from a bf point of view my boobs were probably doing the same or more as yours at 8 months.

I found that the babies waited for me (7 - 6 day). They barely drank anything, and weren't eating much, but the fed at about 7pm, 12.30am, 3.30am and 6am to make up for it! It was exhausting, but it did settle down after a year few months. Although it was knackering, I enjoyed the nighttime feeding as I missed them in the day - nighttime was, and still is, when I see my babies mid week.

I didn't express at work, despite working 5 days. The first few weeks is sometimes feel uncomfortable occasionally, but it soon settled down. I am still feeding now that my twins are 2 years 7 months, though they're virtually stopped now. So I don't think it adversely affected my supply.

Good luck with your return to work smile

Irishmammybread Fri 28-Jun-13 00:50:13

With my DS I had to go back to work full time when he was 3 mths old (20 years ago so maternity leave not as good and DH was still a student!).
I hadn't mastered expressing so stopped feeding during the day but continued to feed in the morning, evening and through the night. He had refused to take a bottle from me initially but would take formula from his child minder .
With DD1 I worked a few days a week and expressed at lunchtime and mid afternoon at work. I used a hand operated pump and it wasn't as difficult as I thought, didn't take too long either though you do need privacy, everything is a lot more exposed than when actually breastfeeding,it's hard to be discrete!I think your employer is obliged to find somewhere suitable for you to express .
On the days I wasn't working I just contined to breast feed on demand and supply seemed to remain constant, we managed to keep going till she was about 14 months.She would take bottles of expressed milk at nursery but never from me!
DD2 was 7 months when I went back to work very part time and would never take a bottle from anyone, she'd wait up to 5 hours for a breastfeed,we'd both be desperate at this point.She would eat some solids and sip water though.
Good luck with going back to work, it's a difficult time!

goodasgold Fri 28-Jun-13 00:45:55

Mon Tues Thurs. You will appreciate the Wednesday catch up. It's like a mini weekend. But the days should be what suits you best. Your baby is unlikely to turn around and say,' nice one mum that you only worked three days, but you picked the wrong day for me.'

motownmover Fri 28-Jun-13 00:44:12

Oh fab! thank you - it probably makes sense I do try express and ice packs could be the way forward.

Just so nervous about it and need to sort things out ahead of agreeing days.

Anyway off to do a feed now.smile

goodasgold Fri 28-Jun-13 00:40:40

I would work whichever days suit you best, I fed mine all until 21 months, one working part time short days and one working full time long days and long commutes, and one not working at all. It is possible and quite rewarding. Best wishes.

I worked in the community, used to express in the car and keep milk fresh with ice packs.

You are welcome.

I did, around 2-3 (which is when he had a feed). I just did enough to pour over cereal didn't worry about real amounts.

I think that spreading the days out sounds good.

motownmover Fri 28-Jun-13 00:33:15

Miffy can I ask you another few question - did you find it ok work life balance with 3 days??

Do you think I should split the days to help with blocked ducts - so do

Mon Wed Fri

or Mon Tues and Thurs?

motownmover Fri 28-Jun-13 00:31:49

Thanks Miffy - so did you express at work? My work is not in any way set up to express?

The thing is i have never expressed - got mastitis twice very early on only.

Cheers!!

AndMiffyWentToSleep Fri 28-Jun-13 00:24:14

I did the same - working Wednesday to Friday. He wouldn't take a bottle but would wait for me. I found I had to express anyway - one day I didn't, when he was 11 months, I got mastitis!

motownmover Fri 28-Jun-13 00:20:13

Thank you Nickname smile

I am thinking that I might change days then to split them up a bit - say do a mon tues and thurs so I could feed more on sun wed and fri to compensate.

Did you express at work??

I returned to work when my first was that age and continued to breastfeed and didn't express either.

My hours weren't as long though. I would feed in the morning, when I got home and then at bedtime and maybe late eve (10ish) if he woke and wanted one. He just drank water from a cup during the day. I did express milk for him to have on his cereal (really to help my own discomfort during the day- I stopped this at about 12 months and the 10pm feed as well).

I would say its doable.

motownmover Fri 28-Jun-13 00:00:40

I can not exactly remember what I did last time but I didn't go full time until around 14 months and still bf during the night and I have never ever expressed and managed to bf my toddler until he was 2.5 years and only gave up when I was pregnant.

This time it seems I will look to return to work for 3 days a week while bfing at 8 or 9 months.

Please can I have some advice.

Will I be able to do 3 long days where I am away from my baby from 7am to 7pm and not impact supply. I have a toddler too.

I need to negotiate the days and reduced time and would it work if I worked say mon tues wed or should I negotiated a staggered week to assist feeding say mon tues thurs.

I've never expressed and last time when I returned to work my first baby never took a bottle and would wait for me.

Would an 8 or 9 month old baby wait for bfing??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now