To much

(20 Posts)
LittleJack15 Mon 24-Jun-13 19:21:48

This might be a silly question but am I breastfeeding my little chap to much?
He's 3 months old and feeds about every hour in the day and when we get to about 5ish or before he cluster feeds till about 9 or 10.
But then only wakes once or twice through the night.
This wouldn't be a problem at all it's just he only likes to feed in bed. So we can't get out and about to much. When I try to feed him other places he pulls back and gets uncomfortable.
smilesmile

LittleJack15 Mon 24-Jun-13 19:53:05

Also has he got really bad wind when he gives all the sighns of want milk, but when I feed him all he does is kick and pull back? But then take him off and his eyes go very wide and starts rooting loads??
I wish they could talk and tell you what's wrong. Because he looks so uncomfortable

mrsmartin1984 Mon 24-Jun-13 20:12:54

Is it normally like this or has it just come on. Babies have a growth spurt at around 12 weeks

LittleJack15 Mon 24-Jun-13 20:28:44

No it's more or less been always like this. He is a bit better than when he was only a few weeks old.

LittleJack15 Tue 25-Jun-13 19:58:33

How do you stop a little one spitting infacol back out when you give it to him?

tiktok Tue 25-Jun-13 20:21:23

LittleJack great you are hanging on in there but BOY!!! I'd love to send you a big box of confidence!

Pulling back is a way your ds wants to communicate with you, and sometimes you will get the message right and sometimes not - it happens to everyone smile

No, you cannot feed him too much, but sometimes you will think he wants a feed and he wants a cuddle only - it's ok to get it wrong sometimes.

LittleJack15 Wed 26-Jun-13 21:07:31

Thank you tikok. Little chap has got a bit better, but still a lot of feeds.
Last few days I think he's had a problem with wind. I think it's because ever time I give him his infacol he spits it back out!hmm

tiktok Wed 26-Jun-13 21:48:51

Sounds as if it is not worth bothering with infacol smile

He may not have wind - this is something we worry about in the UK but other countries don't.

It's ok to feed a lot smile

HadALittleFaithBaby Thu 27-Jun-13 06:29:19

I found gripe water quite good for getting up wind - better than infacol. My DD (10 weeks) the same - cluster feeds but sleeps well. Sometimes now she snoozes after her EBM bottle around 7, I'm hoping that'll become a longer sleep and I'll dream feed her around 10 if she does.

LittleJack15 Thu 27-Jun-13 17:18:16

I'm gutted because I should have gone with my first thought.
I thought my little chap had a reflux but spoke to a few people and they said he wouldn't have it. But spoken to my breastfeeding advice lady and she thinks he has got it.
hmm

LittleJack15 Thu 27-Jun-13 20:05:49

Would having a reflux make my little chap think he's hungry?
It's just I think his reflux gets bad at night the same time he wants to all the time?

LittleJack15 Thu 27-Jun-13 20:06:54

Feed is missing out of last message.
grin

HadALittleFaithBaby Thu 27-Jun-13 20:14:39

That's exactly what I experienced little. I don't think she is hungry so much as feeds to try to quell the reflux symptoms so we'd get into a vicious cycle of feed- reflux/vomit - feed in the evenings. In fact the reflux is rarely an issue in the day, so I just give one dose of gaviscon with the evening feed.

FWIW I've cut down my caffeine intake to one cup a day and seen a noticeable improvement too. It hasn't gone but its better!

LittleJack15 Thu 27-Jun-13 20:27:31

Yea that sounds just like my little chap. He won't relax at times which I think makes him worse.
I think that's what I'm going to have to do, cut down to one cup of tea.
Thank you for reply
smilesmile

LittleJack15 Fri 28-Jun-13 01:34:36

If I think my little chap has a reflux should I be giving him infacol?

HadALittleFaithBaby Fri 28-Jun-13 05:46:04

Some people say it makes reflux worse. I think the best thing is to get him to your GP - get a diagnosis and ask the GP.

You can give gripe water and gaviscon if needs be but my Aunty (who is a pharmacist) said don't give the maximum doses of both because of the sodium content - it's a max. Of 6 for both so I give up to 3 doses of each. I tend to give gripe water in the day and gaviscon in the evening.

tiktok Fri 28-Jun-13 17:14:35

Infacol is not absorbed by the body and works (supposedly....) on air in the stomach. It's not likely to harm a baby whatever the reason it is given. Reflux can be a vague condition - hard to be sure of it. It is not really 'wind' or colic, which is what infacol is marketed for. No need to feel bad for giving it smile

LittleJack15 Fri 28-Jun-13 20:23:40

Do you think I'll be causing more problems for myself stopping the infacol?
smile

tiktok Fri 28-Jun-13 22:43:16

If you want to stop it, stop it...if you think it was helping, start it again.

Honestly, the evidence for infacol's effectiveness is very small. But if you find it helps, then carry on.

glossyflower Sat 29-Jun-13 03:37:46

My DD is 9 weeks old and sometimes I get the impression she's hungry so I BF her. She'll take some but then get all fussy, wriggly and keep pulling back but latches back on for a few seconds before fussing again. It can be frustrating for both of us but I've come to realise she does this not when she's hungry but tired and is looking for comfort. So after trying a feed unsuccesfully I swaddle her, give her a dummy and a gentle cuddle and after a little more fussiness she soon falls fast asleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now