baby doesn't like left breast

(11 Posts)
curlyclaz13 Thu 20-Jun-13 21:37:13

8 days old and really struggle to get him to latch on left side. he headbutts, puts his hand in his mouth, throws his head back anyone would think I have poison in there ! I do get him on eventually and keep trying, often I have to give up and swap sides as he seems so angry and hungry. right side is generally fine and he latches quickly and usually pain free. any ideas ? bf cafe is only once a week and missed it today as I was in bed with a hideous headache after a sleepless night snd a day non stop feeding yesterday.

CurlyFox Thu 20-Jun-13 21:40:19

Had this problem with both my DDs except they refused my right side and only wanted my left! I think my supply was low on right as never could express much but left side could express easily! In the end i breastfed on left and kept expressing what I could from right. HV never could figure out why. Sorry can't be more helpful thought I'd let you know I had a similar situation

CityDweller Thu 20-Jun-13 21:40:32

Oversupply or fast let down on that side? Good info here: kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

Also here about being 'lopsided' kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/lopsided/

curlyclaz13 Thu 20-Jun-13 21:49:20

I am have found that after a feed if I try to express a little bit to rub in to prevent sore nipples I struggle to gey anything out the left. he refused left breast straight after birth and I did ask for help while in hospital but got none angry maybe that side just doesn't work as well ?

Can you try feeding rugby ball style on the left breast.?

CityDweller Thu 20-Jun-13 21:58:36

One other thought, maybe try a visit to a cranial osteopath. Might be that some residual effects of the birth (or the position he was inside you) make it uncomfortable for him to feed on that side. And perhaps worth getting checked for tongue tie too. My daughter had tongue tie and the pain/ issues were always worse on my right breast, for some reason...

Cordial Fri 21-Jun-13 03:14:31

Hi my dd has a right side preference so much so that left became a battle of wills hmm. After watching calmly I have come to the conclusion it is a mix of this a fast let down she can't cope with, rubbish positioning on my part and the shape of the boob/nipples.

So I am expressing a bit of milk off first, trying lots of different positions and ways of supporting her at that breast and also shaping the boob for her. I haven't found a miracle solution but the key thing is don't let her got so mad that she makes a negative association and don't be afraid to switch boobs in order to calm the situation.

According to lactation consultant as they get older things tend to get easier. My DD is now 5weeks it isn't resolved but things are moving in the right direction.

Why not go to a bf support group I found it great for reassurance.

Good luck

curlyclaz13 Fri 21-Jun-13 11:55:53

Tried rugby ball hold and seemed successful. will try it next feed and see how we go. thanks all.

SoupDragon Fri 21-Jun-13 12:02:28

I was going to suggest that it could be the hold that is uncomfortable for him rather than the breast itself being "faulty" (so to speak!).

curlyclaz13 Sat 22-Jun-13 10:15:49

still seems to be working apart from a 2am glitch fixed by a double nappy change !

Thumbs up!

My bf days are loooong behind me but I did have one who happily rugby balled my left breast but rejected trad hold on it, so I thought it might be worth a shot for you, hurrah!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now