Bf 2.5 yr old, does a week away mean the end?

(6 Posts)
Confitdecanard Thu 20-Jun-13 15:22:18

I work full time and DS (30 months) feeds just once a day, at night, with occasional morning feeds at the weekend. I have to go away for six nights with work sad Has anyone any experience of going away for this length of time with an established milk supply and feeding continuing on return? Not many people know I still feed (definitely no-one at work) but most who do know think I should be weaning anyway! I feel almost ready but feel like I would like the option to carry on to be there when I get back. Does that sound bonkers?! Any thoughts or experiences welcome. Thanks.

weeblueberry Thu 20-Jun-13 19:10:53

Can't you try expressing while you're away to help keep the milk flowing?

leedy Fri 21-Jun-13 16:42:01

I went away for five days with work when DS1 was 2 and still on morning and night feeds - brought a pump with me, expressed for my own comfort, and he just resumed where he left off when I got back. He didn't wean completely for another four months when I was pregnant with DS2. Basically after a year your supply is pretty robust, especially if you pump while away from your LO.

TishInOttawa Sun 23-Jun-13 23:27:43

I had to leave my two year old with my husband for a few days - she was nursing twice a day and resumed without skipping a beat when I returned. My breasts did feel a bit uncomfortable and I expressed by hand for relief.

Midori1999 Mon 24-Jun-13 17:34:01

I had to stay in hospital for five nights recently and was worried DD would (unnaturally) wean while I was gone due to the enforced seperation. She did visit me in hospital but didn't want to nurse. I was even more worried as I am also pregnant and my milk was drying up at the time, I barely had a drop left. Came home and DD (then 22 months) carried on nursing as normal and is still happily dry nursing now 2 months later.

Not Sure if you'd have to express while away, I didn't at all, but as I say, my milk was already pretty much dried up due to pregnancy.

Confitdecanard Sun 30-Jun-13 19:43:39

Thanks everyone. Back from trip - didn't bother to express but all seems normal now I'm back. When he first saw me he asked to nurse. I told him that there might not be any milk but he tried and there was! It's as if I never went away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now