dummies...

(8 Posts)
moremintsliceplease Thu 20-Jun-13 06:25:56

Now little DD is 8 weeks old am going to try dummies as it seems part of the SIDS guidelines now when it wasn't for DS and also because this time round I am rather less precious but I just need answers to a few stupid questions please smile

Do I need to wash/sterilize them every time they fall out of her mouth?

How many would you advise having at any one time given the guidelines are to use them for every sleep?

Thanks smile

tiktok Thu 20-Jun-13 09:35:50

Check the guidelines, OP - they don't really say things as clearly as you think.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/Sudden-infant-death-syndrome/Pages/Introduction.aspx

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/getting-baby-to-sleep.aspx

You don't need to sterilise them every time they fall out of her mouth, but yes, you should wash them if they fall on the floor/get licked by the dog...falling out into cot or pram is ok.

no idea how many you need!

beckslovestimmy Thu 20-Jun-13 10:05:46

Hi, I've got 4 dummies, I sterilise and then use that dummy till the next day (unless it falls on the floor outside of the house, gets dirty etc) i always take an extra one out with me just incase. You can get a clip for them, this way I clip it to her clothes so it can't be dropped. Make sure you get all the same dummies, I tried a different shape one and DD was not having any of it! smile

notso Thu 20-Jun-13 10:18:28

I have two with dummies at the moment and we probably have about 20 although some are kept in PIL and my parents houses.

The boys loose them at night so we have a 'dummy buffet' set up on the dresser so they can get another one!

I keep Milton wipes in the changing bag for wiping them if the fall somewhere really manky when we are out and about. I use Avent ones which have caps to keep them clean when not in use.

bonzo77 Thu 20-Jun-13 10:25:56

I think we have about 5 now. Each evening I collect them up and sterilise them. If they get droped I remove any fluff etc then put back in the baby's mouth.

moremintsliceplease Thu 20-Jun-13 11:29:48

Oh cool thanks tiktok for some reason I thought it was a much stronger association, maybe it was lullaby trust I was reading or maybe I just got the wrong end of the stick. I won't stress about making sure she takes one - didn't do dummies or bottles last time so avoided all the sterilising faff so may just carry on as I did for DS.

Thanks too to others' advice - if do use dummies will follow

moremintsliceplease Thu 20-Jun-13 11:30:22

Oh cool thanks tiktok for some reason I thought it was a much stronger association, maybe it was lullaby trust I was reading or maybe I just got the wrong end of the stick. I won't stress about making sure she takes one - didn't do dummies or bottles last time so avoided all the sterilising faff so may just carry on as I did for DS.

Thanks too to others' advice - if do use dummies will follow

Jojay Thu 20-Jun-13 11:32:32

Another vote for the Avent ones that have a cover to keep them clean. All dummies should have them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now