Help! NEED to get 7mo EBF onto bottle, which one is best.

(9 Posts)
HelloBear Wed 19-Jun-13 19:35:31

due to various allergic reactions I need to gety EBF baby off the boob. He's refused avent, tommie t, and now NUK.

Anyone got any suggestions? What's worked for others?

At this rate I'm going to have spent a fortune and have a montain of unused bottles!

Also do you start on the level teet of his age now or do you start at new born baby size?

lazzaroo Wed 19-Jun-13 20:36:44

I am on my second bottle refuser! At 7 months I'd consider going straight to cup. I did it with my first and just starting with my 6month old. Much easier in the long run, cut out bottles altogether!

justabigdisco Wed 19-Jun-13 21:04:11

I'd also suggest going straight to a sippy cup. We did this at 7 months when I went back to work, and DD had not taken a bottle.

TwitchyTail Wed 19-Jun-13 21:37:38

Sorry to hijack but how hard was it to get your babies to drink from cups?

HelloBear Wed 19-Jun-13 21:50:04

Did you do all your feeds from a cup?

Thanks for replies.

justabigdisco Wed 19-Jun-13 22:26:10

It wasn't that hard. She didn't exactly glug from it but tipped it up and milk just poured into her mouth as its free flow (unlike bottles where they have to suck, but in a different way to BF). It took a while at first. I BF her morning and evening and she'd have 3-4 cups of milk through the day. I think the childminder used to just keep at it until she'd drunk a reasonable amount.

lazzaroo Thu 20-Jun-13 08:36:40

To be honest I can't remember with dd1 but I don't recall it being traumatic! We also kept up morning & night feeds, then just offered cup often during the day. She was a reflux baby so used to feed little & often anyway. Weight was fine, just a little dip while we got it sorted. I don't really remember the transition so it must have been quite easy.

I saw h/v last week and had little chat about weaning (as I also don't remember how we did that!?). She mentioned swapping a milk feed for a yoghurt to give me more freedom too and said that lots of babies just learn to fill up morning & night on breast and then get rest of nutrition through food, can offer lots of milk in food....yoghurts, cheese sauce, milky porridge etc.

I'd start giving yours cup with some cooled boiled water just to play with (less wasteful!) and see how you get on. I also hear lots of success stories with doidy cups. Good luck!

KingRollo Thu 20-Jun-13 20:57:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TwitchyTail Thu 20-Jun-13 21:03:08

Thanks for cup info, that's reassuring smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now