breast milk amounts expressing

(7 Posts)
pinkapples Wed 19-Jun-13 15:36:57

Hi ladies just looking for a bit of advice really baby is 6 days old today and due to extremely sore cracked bleeding nipples I am now exclusively expressing and giving it in a bottle

My question is how much am I meant to be giving her?? I don't want to waste it obviously its very time consuming to pump and I have made the commitment have been doing about 3oz per feed at the moment which she drinks and sometimes she only drinks 2oz?

Anyone know where ill find any guidelines on this or does anyone know?

kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/ should hopefully help. Kellymom is a very useful site in general, and worth a read smile

Hope your nipples heal soon

AnythingNotEverything Wed 19-Jun-13 19:55:36

I expressed exclusively as my DS wouldn't latch at all, and in the early days I just pumped as much as I could and fed him until he didn't want it. After a few days I got to know how much he would take at each feed.

To keep your supply up if recommend you pump every time you feed, so you're mimicking the demand.

Some women can't pump much so don't beat yourself up if its hard! There's nothing wrong with mixed feeding.

Good luck and congratulations!

pinkapples Wed 19-Jun-13 20:22:57

Thanks I'm currently expressing every 2/3 hours so a little more than I'm feeding it is hard but will be worth it grin thanks again

AnythingNotEverything Wed 19-Jun-13 22:51:05

It will be worth it! Just make sure you're being looked after.

Once your nipples have healed you could give direct feeding another go. I assume you've had the latch checked, tongue tie etc? Also, a nipple shield may help.

pinkapples Wed 19-Jun-13 23:06:03

Yea everything checked and fine

BeyonceCastle Wed 19-Jun-13 23:56:12

hello OP

1 ounce = 28.4 ml

in hospital my 3 day old needed supplementing and I was told to try give 30 ml along with bf every two hours.
mine was drinking only 10ml as well as breastmilk

Lansinoh cream is your friend
the nipples take ime a week or so to toughen up then you are desensitised - the cream works wonders

it does hurt when you are cracked but if you can get past a week you have cracked it, pardon the pun - i feel for you, i really do

even with the correct latch my nipples were sore with first two the first week or so

nipple shields are a possibility but can cause nipple confusion (as can bottles especially as the baby has to work a bit more on the breast than the flow of a bottle BUT many mixed feeders cope with both)

mixed feeding is a possibility if you wish to monitor what they are having but in conjunction with bf if you want to continue bf (extended bf here and currently tandem feeding but totally non-judgy when it comes down to it)

IF you wanted to or needed to supplement then would recommend the presterilised bottles and ready to use do not have to warm up hipp formula

www.ocado.com/webshop/product/HiPP-Organic-First-Infant-Milk-Starter-Pack/73862011 [ocado, amazon,tesco,mothercare]

a) used in hospitals
b) 6 x 90ml bottles each lasts four hours so you can pour in 30 ml and use rest a bit later if cluster feeding
c) you will be less tempted to switch to ff if you do not have all the equipment but this may be one way to reassure you/keep up with the cluster feeds as a short term stop gap but keep pumping or you won't boost supply

Pumping between 12 and 4 is good as it is a good time for boosting milk supply acc to another thread

Boost your supply with nursing tea esp with fenugreek in it - this promotes lactation

www.immergruen.co.uk/Nursing-tea%281780852%29.htm

Use the lansinoh and try and get baby back on breast within the next week - i did this even though it still hurt with DC2 and they did toughen up - will keep fingers crossed for you flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now