Oh...I made it to a year!

(6 Posts)

Been so focused on DS reaching his birthday today haven't really thought back and feel quite proud of myself for making it to a year of breastfeeding.

We had a horrendous start and it's still no plain sailing but I am very glad I stuck with it. Mainly because it's the only way to get him to sleep at night!

For those going through trouble early on....it really does get better, even if it doesn't get perfect it will get easier. We have been through posterior tongue tie, recessed jaw, upper lip tie, mastitis (5 times) horrendous latch, multiple milk blisters, bleeding nipples, crushed nipples, biting, nipple blanching, raynauds, black nipples, blah blah blah...and come out the other end to tell the story unscathed apart from my nipples hanging by a thread

But, some of the understated benefits have included feeding to sleep, stopping crying for ANY reason, feeding while traveling in the car and crying because he hates his car seat, getting out of any situation I don't want to be in ("DS needs a feed, I have to go")

These benefits should be advertised, anyone got any others to add?!

TwentyTinyToes Tue 18-Jun-13 21:30:45

Congratulations flowers

DrMcDreamysWife Tue 18-Jun-13 21:33:06

Congratulations! You poor lady with all those nipple assaults!! But truly well done to overcome all that to give your son such comfort.

I'm 9months in and pretty sure we'll make it to a year. Most of my friends have stopped and moved to formula but I am so feeling the brilliance of breastfeeding getting us through teething. She's also just had the worst cold and she went off solids completely but would still breastfeed which is great!

KatieLily12 Tue 18-Jun-13 21:39:38

Congratulations! We're over 7 months here after one hell of a journey and I'm so glad I kept going.

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Wed 19-Jun-13 02:52:52

Congratulations! I was going to start exactly the same thread as my DS is 1 today.

We had a tough start with breastfeeding due to a missed tongue tie but we persevered and with the help of a lovely lactation consultant we got it snipped. Here we are 12 months on both still thoroughly enjoying it and I have no inclination of stopping anytime soon.

Breastfeeding has helped and comforted during colds, teething and trips to the nurse for jabs. It's been the only way to settle DS to sleep when we've had to do some long haul flights.

My favourite time of day is when DH brings DS to the nursery after bathtime and I feed him so he gets all dopey. I then get the most delicious snuggly cuddle once he's finished before laying him down in his cot to sleep knowing that he's content.

TwitchyTail Wed 19-Jun-13 11:32:39

Congratulations!! Threads like this give me motivation to stick with it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now