ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

10 month old refusing all milk - help! Should I worry??

(5 Posts)
TexMex Tue 18-Jun-13 19:44:21

My 10 month old DD has never really been a fan of milk (very difficult to BF, introduced formula at 4 months as she wasn't putting on weight, and she still would only have 4oz a feed). She has been having 4oz formula 2-3 times a day - morning, mid afternoon some days depending on what she had eaten, and at bedtime.

However after an ear infection last week when she was really poorly she has refused all milk in a bottle. I have tried formula in a sippy cup either hot or cold, and she's refused that too. She will have cows milk on cereal and loves eating yoghurt and cheese. Is that enough? If anyone has been in a similar boat it would be really good to hear how you've got on.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 18-Jun-13 23:39:28

That must be such a worry tex. The NHS recommend a minimum of 20floz per day between 6and 12 months. If she's not getting that, I'd take her to the GP and ask them to check her ears and throat and discuss her milk intake smile

Stubbed56 Tue 18-Jun-13 23:46:13

My son didn't like drinking much milk at this age either. Finished bf at 9 months and offered formula. Maybe 6oz a day if I was lucky, often less. I just used to give water for fluids and cheese, yoghurt and sardines for calcium. Then at about 11 months I switched from formula to cow's milk and he started drinking it better - 12 oz a day or so. Now loves his milk... It's probably just a phase.

5madthings Tue 18-Jun-13 23:51:54

My dd was like this. I put formula into food ie made her porridge with it and added it to mash and cheese sauces etc to get the 20oz into her.

The Dr wasn't bothered, was a bit crap tbh.

Things that helped, making milk slightly warmer than recommended, sitting her in her car seat and putting cbeebies on for her to watch as she had her milk.

Walking around with her to feed her.

Bizarrely she got better over one year and now at 2.5 has 5ozbefore bed still! She has never taken more than 5ozat once and she only started having 5oz once over 18mths!

It is worrying, speak to HV and put formula in food, does she seem well in herself, issue sleeping well?

TexMex Wed 19-Jun-13 11:40:22

Thanks so much for all your replies. I'll carry on putting milk in her food and giving her plenty of yoghurt and cheese, and will go to the next drop in clinic with HV just to see if they are worried at all. I hope it is just a phase! Good to know I'm
Not alone though, thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now