Gaviscon/Reflux and a 4 week old breastfed baby.

(20 Posts)
Poppet45 Sat 22-Jun-13 11:44:12

Def look at gav alternatives. Dd is on omeprazole which has saved our sanity. Also the soya suggestion is a useful one. Is there really no pattern to her pain or is it worse 3-12 hours or so after you've eaten something rich in dairy? Lots of refluxers have issues with milk (cmpi) and some also have issues with soya. By eliminating them from my diet we get sleep but if I eat even a trace the next day is a write off!

clairbear81 Sat 22-Jun-13 10:36:07

My son had reflux, he's 12 now. It was so bad he bought up entire feeds through his nose and mouth which was projectile poor lamb. He had it for months and we were going back and fourth to the go, he cried all the time for first few months of his life he was so unsettled. The go finally recommended soya milk substitute, I was skeptical but it literally solved the issues from the first feed and everyone slept well that night! I know it was a while ago now but I have talked to others that solved this issue with soya so it could work for your little one? Talk to go for advice x good luck!

pugoff Sat 22-Jun-13 10:21:57

I'm going thro thus at the moment. Green poos because he only wants to snack - prob because large feeds hurt him. I'm trying Gaviscon in bottle if ebf milk. I only put it in c. 2oz of milk in with Gav, feed him that bottle then top up from me. Total faff as now I'm bf, bottle feeding and expressing.

He still seems to want to snack a lot but if I up the Gaviscon then the constipation starts so yest I had a day off it. Still green poo tho and I'm worried he's droppi.g weight. HV doesn't give me any suggestions other than what I'm suggesting might be causes to her. And when mentioned to Gp he didn't seem at all bothered by the green poo. Do people think I would be better looking into gav alternatives?

DoodleAlley Wed 19-Jun-13 03:31:18

We had constipation issues with gaviscon and both children's.

We actually got given peptac instead with DD which works in the same way as gaviscon and is a thickener but it comes pre made and there is a lot less to administer.

If this doesn't work then, as said unthread the next step is most likely something like ranitidine. They often layer the medicines if there is no problem with them other than lack of effect.

So DD is currently on peptac to thicken her feeds, ranitidine to reduce acid in tummy and domperidone to help move food through her system. But we had to go to a hospital clinic to get that particular cocktail though some GPs can prescribe ranitidine and hopefully the gaviscon will work as well for you as it does for some people.

May09Bump Wed 19-Jun-13 02:56:00

Just be careful with gaviscon, it gave my son constipation - the symptoms were exactly like reflux. poor mite had both together. Watch that baby is going the toilet.

Ranitidine was our life saver, the only thing that ended the distress. I also let my son sleep in his rocker or on a wedge in the cot to keep him upright. The rocker was concord, so had good support.

Hope your baby is feeling better soon - it is so stressful for you too, so look after yourself!

arlandria666 Wed 19-Jun-13 02:06:52

That's a brilliant idea i have just ordered one while doing the nite feed internet shopping on my phone could be dangerous lol
We tried giving it in expressed milk in a bottle today advised by the midwife but DS wasn't keen on the bottle and grabbed the boob with both hands when back on! That medicine dispenser would be ideal as wouldn't be in his mouth for long!
No tea i hope you find something that works for you soon i must say 4 days in for us and it does seem to be helping

HadALittleFaithBaby Tue 18-Jun-13 21:56:03

tea you could try this?

NoTeaForMe Tue 18-Jun-13 21:49:23

Hmm...she's really not keen on me squirting the gaviscon into her mouth! Poor girl. Any top tips?! To top it off she's just been really sick, but now the sick isuch thicker, althought it looks horrible it doesn't travel as far so is easier up deal with!

NoTeaForMe Tue 18-Jun-13 09:05:24

Good to know there's an alternative, thanks PetCat, I'll bear it in mind.

What do people do when out and about. Obviously can't be faffing with sterilising a pot and cooled boiled water etc! I'm only giving it 3 tines a day so will be able to time some of it to do at home but what about when we're out all day?

Also, there's no pattern to her sickness or pain, some feeds are better than others, does it matter that the Gaviscon will be given at random feeds? Does it have a build up effect regardless of when you give it?

Thanks

Petcat Tue 18-Jun-13 08:22:23

My DD is 4 weeks and has reflux that leaves her very distressed. Her GP has prescribed ranitidine instead of gaviscon because I am breastfeeding and she acknowledged the gaviscon administration schedule isn't really compatible with breastfeeding on demand. She said gaviscon is the usual first line treatment because it's fairly easy to administer alongside formula and bf rates are v low where we live.

I have to give her a tiny 0.4ml dose using a syringe 3 times a day. It doesn't stop the vomiting but seems to reduce her pain and distress. Ranitidine is not licenced for children under 3 but can still be prescribed by a sympathetic doctor if there is a good reason (like enabling the mother to continue ebf). If you find gaviscon too much of a faff it might be worth discussing this as an alternative.

Definitelynomore Mon 17-Jun-13 21:52:38

To sterilise a syringe/pot wash and rinse v well with normal washing up liquid then leave in just-boiled water straight from the kettle for at least five mins. We did this for dummies too. Others may disagree but don't get too hung up on the sterilising business...

NoTeaForMe Mon 17-Jun-13 21:37:49

How do you sterilise the syringe and pot?

arlandria666 Mon 17-Jun-13 20:28:48

DS wasn't very sicky anyway its more silent reflux i sterilise the syringe and the container i make it in hoping for a better nite tonight i have put a blanket under the mattress of the moses basket hoping that helps last nite i ended up putting him to sleep in his swinging chair as he wouldn't settle other than on me i managed an hours sleep while he was in the chair

NoTeaForMe Mon 17-Jun-13 20:09:54

Phew, thanks!

I've been trying to lean back a bit while feeding. Thanks, I'll YouTube it!

I think I might get a dummy and give it a go tomorrow, she seems to instinctively know she needs to suck-she doesn't want more milk at the end of the feed but she wants to suck and then feels a bit better.

Do you sterilise the syringe and pot you make up the gaviscon in?

Thanks again

HadALittleFaithBaby Mon 17-Jun-13 19:38:32

We get less sick with gaviscon, definitely.

Sorry I mean biological nuturing where you lean back and they lie across you. Google it - there's a YouTube video.

NoTeaForMe Mon 17-Jun-13 18:22:32

Faith What's the biological nursing position?

Arlandria I thought half the idea of it was to stop the sick? I'm clutching on to that, getting changed this much when I'm on a limited wardrobe is tiring!

I have some syringes kicking about so will go with the 'squirting-in-the-mouth-part-way-through-the-feed' method!

HadALittleFaithBaby Mon 17-Jun-13 17:46:13

Similar for us - DD is 9 weeks and we've been treating reflux for about 5 weeks, it's made a huge difference.

I find it tricky to predict 20 minutes before a feed! Generally she wakes and demands it! I try to give half before a feed and half mid feed but if she seems bad post feed (sicky or acidic breath) I just give it. We tried it in a bottle of EBM but it clogged the tests! I give it from a calpol syringe and squirt it into her cheek. I only give about 2 doses a day.

We have tried with a dummy but she's not interested!

The main things we found helped are feeding upright (try biological nursing position), winding by rubbing not patting and keeping her upright for 30 mins after feeds.

arlandria666 Mon 17-Jun-13 15:51:09

hi my DS is 4 weeks on Thursday and was diagnosed with reflux on Friday. my doctor told me to give it before the night feed as it seems to be worse then but then i read on the packet to give after a feed so i did that BUT the day after tried it before and it seemed to help more. It doesn't stop the sick just stops the pain that comes with it. I am sure you already know to keep baby upright for at least twenty minutes after a feed. I now give the gaviscon around 7.30 1.30 and 9.00 depending on your feeding DS goes between 2 to 3 hours so couldn't possibly do it on every feed! i use a syringe he isn't keen! someone on here suggested using an empty bottle teet?
I also tried a dummy as DS was very much he will suck it a little but doesn't rely on it
hope you and little one are okay reflux is very draining :-(

partyondude Mon 17-Jun-13 15:51:08

Hi No tea,
DS had reflux too (although silent)- I hadn't realised how common it was, so you're not alone. There are several threads on here too.
I used to feed from both sides and give the syringe of gaviscon before switching. It worked well; he was expecting something in his mouth and would actually suck the syringe and empty it, as though he was still feeding although I know some babies are less impressed with the taste of gaviscon.

We stopped when he was 8 or 9 months old.

I'm trying to remember what else we did - he's 20 months now and it all seems a long time ago!
We tilted his bed so his head was slightly higher that his feet; that lasted until he learned to wrigged and ended up sleeping with his head down slope.
We also used to hold him upright for 40 mins or so after a feed to encourage the milk to go down not up. He is now dreadful at going to sleep; still feeds to seep on occasions and likes one of us to be with him. I'm not sure if this is because he got used to being held after feeds ( and it was often more than 40 mins because I so often fell asleep with him and it could be 3 hours of sleeping i my arms- or whether he just lies company.

There's loads of expertise on here about reflux.

NoTeaForMe Mon 17-Jun-13 14:52:28

I took my daughter to the dr this morning as I was concerned with the amount of sick she is doing. She diagnosed reflux. The dr told me to give my baby a dose of gaviscon around 20 mins before a feed, every feed. I said that I'm breastfeeding on demand and as she's only little we haven't got into any kind of routine so couldn't accurately work out 20 mins before a feed. She said ok just give the gaviscon three times a day and feed on demand whenever and to follow the instructions on the packet. On the packet it says to give the dose part way through a feed no more than 6 times in 24 hours.

What should I do? Any experience of this? Did you use a syringe to administer the gaviscon or use a bottle?

I have read somewhere that a dummy helps reflux. My daughter has more recently become a bit more of a comfort sucker, and it seems to ease any pain that shes in, but obviously on the breast she's taking in milk too and then she's sick! I don't really want her to rely on a dummy for sleep and comfort but to help the reflux pain is it a good idea? If you did this did you just give the dummy if in pain and take it away once calm? Or did you find that once introduced you rely more on it?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now